HRM By-Law Public Hearings

From: "Maureen Reynolds" <ax168@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:17:13 -0300

This message has been forwarded by Smoke-Free Nova Scotia. Your support
would be greatly appreciated, either by attending council on Nov. 19 or by
sending an e-mail/fax/phone call/letter to council members.  I have included
the e-mail addresses for councillors.

The date for the public hearing on the rereal of by-law S200 has been set as
Nov. 19th, 6:00 pm at council chambers.

This has not yet been approved by council but is unlikely to change.  There
has also not been additional dates set but I have asked if this can be done.

Anyway, this gives us a date to work towards and to communicate to the many,
many groups and organizations that all of you are in touch with.  Our aim is
to have as many individuals and organizations as possible appear at the
public hearing and simply say that council needs to keep By-law S200 and
strengthen it to make all indoor public places 100% smoke-free.  This same
message needs to be going to council members through e-mail/fax/phone/letter
over the next few weeks!

We have a real opportunty to get a full by-law if we can generate a large
volume of community support!

Robert Strang  MD, MHSc., FRCPC
Medical Officer of Health
Unit 4, 201 Brownlow Ave.
Dartmouth, NS
B3B 1W2
phone: 902-481-5871
fax: 902-481-5803
robert.strang@cdha.nshealth.ca

NameE-mail Address
Brad Johnsjohnsbr@region.halifax.ns.ca
Brian Warshickwarshib@region.halifax.ns.ca
Bruce Hetheringtonhetherb@region.halifax.ns.ca
Condo SartoSartoc@region.halifax.ns.ca
Dawn Sloanesloaned@region.halifax.ns.ca
Diana Whalenwhalend@region.halifax.ns.ca
Gary Hineshinesg@region.halifax.ns.ca
Gary Meademeadeg@region.halifax.ns.ca
Harry McInroymcinroh@region.halifax.ns.ca
Jerry Blumenthalblumenj@region.halifax.ns.ca
Jim Smithsmithj@region.halifax.ns.ca
John Cunninghamcunninj@region.halifax.ns.ca
Keith Colwellcolwelk@region.halifax.ns.ca
Len Gouchergouchel@region.halifax.ns.ca
Linda Moshermosherl@region.halifax.ns.ca
Peter Kellykellyp@region.halifax.ns.ca
Reginald Rankinrankinr@region.halifax.ns.ca
Robert P. Harveyharveyb@region.halifax.ns.ca
Ron Coopercooperr@region.halifax.ns.ca
Russell Walkerwalkerr@region.halifax.ns.ca
Sheila Fougerefougers@region.halifax.ns.ca
Stephan D. Adamsadamss@region.halifax.ns.ca
Steve Streatchstreats@region.halifax.ns.ca
Sue Uteckutecks@region.halifax.ns.ca

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
SUST-MAR TIP: tell your friends how to join sust-mar!

To join, just send "subscribe sust-mar" to majordomo@chebucto.ca

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

COAL COMPANY TO DIG DEEPER IN STELLARTON
Pioneer Coal will be digging deeper at a strip mine in Stellarton.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=coalmine231002

COMMISSIONER SLAMS FEDS ON SYDNEY TAR PONDS
Ottawa's environmental watchdog is criticizing how the federal government is
handling the cleanup of the Sydney tar ponds. Environment Commissioner
Johanne Gelinas says despite millions of dollars already spent, the
government still has no clear plan.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_tarpondcost021022

HALIFAX EYES WATER TO HELP FUND HARBOUR CLEANUP
Halifax Regional Council is looking at increasing water bills for the second
time since 1999 to cover the cost of cleaning up the harbour.
Municipal staff says it's the only way to deal with a $45-million shortfall,
money that didn't come through as expected from Ottawa.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_hrbrtax021022

WIND POWER GENERATES TALK IN HALIFAX
People from all over the world are in Halifax this week to talk about wind
power.	It's a conference to try to persuade Canadians to capture something
the country has no shortage of.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_wind021022

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation