NS VOICE OF WOMEN FOR PEACE SILENT VIGIL

To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Helen Lofgren <as112@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:16:33 -0400

Please Circulate widely :

NS VOICE OF WOMEN FOR PEACE SILENT VIGIL

"Not In my Name!"
A vigil will be held on the lawn outside  the Spring Garden Road
Public Library in Halifax on

**friday, December 13, 12:00-1:00.**

During this time a silent vigil will  be held to protest the proposed
war  against Iraq. Letters to Prime Minister Chretien  will be
available for people to
sign. Come and add your voice to those who are saying "Do not
fight this war in my name!" .  Also, white poppies
will be  available.  We encourage everyone to make and bring your
own white  poppy!   Please see the information, below, on the white
poppy.
History
 The white poppy campaign was started in Britain in 1933 by the Women's
 Co-operative Guild.  They chose an alternate symbol - the white poppy -
 as
 a 'definite pledge to peace that war must not happen again' to be worn
 alone or along with the red poppy.  This work has been continued over the
 years by the British PeacePledge Union and peace activists all over the
 world.  The purpose of the white poppy is not to offend veterans or those
 who mourn lost relatives or friends.  Many of the women in the Women's
 Co-operative Guild had themselves lost family members and friends to war.
 Let us  shift our focus from heroes to human beings, from our dead to all
 dead.  We need to remember that the majority of those killed in war are
 not
 those who 'served' but those who happened to be in the way and that
 modern
 warfare causes great environmental devastation.
 The White Poppy is a challenge to the worn-out belief in war.   It is a
 symbol of hope and possibility, a renewal of our commitment to
 non-violent
 conflict resolution.
 Remembering is not enough!  Wear a White Poppy and Work for Peace!

 To Make Your Own Poppy

 Poppies can be handmade of paper, fabric, or plastic, felt works well.
 You
 can use the red poppy as a model.  Cut a white circle two inches in
 diameter into a shape with four petals, add a small black or green circle
 in the centre and pin it on!

 copyright 2002 NSVOW

 * Other events and announcements and articles are being posted to the
  NSVOW yahoogroups list.  If you join this e-mail list you can receive
 mail or
  just go and read the mail on the website.  For more information or to
  join, go to: http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/NSVOW

  *Membership:
  If you are not a member of NS VOW and would like to join, or your
  membership needs renewing you can send your cheque ($35 (or what you can
  pay) for one year's membership) payable to NS Voice of Women to :
  NS VOW
  P.O. Box 3231
  Halifax, NS
  B3J 3H5

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
SUST-MAR TIP: tell your friends how to join sust-mar!

To join, just send "subscribe sust-mar" to majordomo@chebucto.ca

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

PROVINCE WAITING FOR DETAILS ON KYOTO
It's a waiting game in Nova Scotia, as the federal government figures out
how it's going to implement its plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions across
the country.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_kyorex20021211

HONEY HOAX HAS VALLEY PRODUCERS BUZZING
Honey retailers and exporters are getting mysterious letters saying honey
from the Annapolis Valley is tainted.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_honey20021211

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation