Dump and Run / Environmental Fair on Saturday, May 3 - Please Donate for Sale or Set up a Display!

From: "CESR" <cesr@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: <harnold@dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:35:09 -0300

Dump and Run / Environmental Fair
8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Saturday, May 3
Memorial Arena
(South St. and LeMarchant St.)
Dalhousie University

The Society for Corporate Environmental and Social Responsibility (CESR)
and Dalgreen are organizing a Dump and Run and Environmental Fair at the
Memorial Arena (Dalhousie Campus) on May 3, 2003 from 8:30am to 3:30pm.
CESR and Dalgreen are both student organizations at Dalhousie University
that are committed to raising awareness about environmental issues.

What is a Dump and Run?

Dump and Run is a community garage sale. Items donated or left behind by
outgoing university residence students are sold to raise money for local
charitable and non-profit organizations.

The goals of the event are:
-to reduce solid waste that is annually generated by the mass exodus of
students at the end of the academic year
-to redistribute reusable materials
-to educate the community about local environmental organizations and
the issues and campaigns they are working on
-to increase interaction between university students and the surrounding
community
-to raise funds for local charitable organizations and environmental
campaigns

Dump and Run has been a successful event at Acadia University and
several American universities.

Where does your environmental organization come in?

During the sale there will also be an "Environmental Fair". We are
inviting local environmental organizations to set up displays and send
representatives to educate the public about their organizations, and any
issues or campaigns they are currently working on. This is a great
opportunity to incorporate a community event with building awareness
about local environmental issues and concerns. There is no cost to set
up a table display. We will be supplying tables and chairs.

We would like to have your organization participate in this event. If
your organization would like to participate or if you have any
questions, please contact me, Heather Arnold, by email (harnold@dal.ca)
or by phone at (902)423-1242.

Thank you,

Heather Arnold
Dalgreen

*P.S. To donate items for the sale on Saturday May 3, please drop them
off at the Memorial Arena between Tuesday, April 29 and Friday, May 2
from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM or reply to cesr@dal.ca to arrange a
possible pick up. We will accept almost everything: books, furniture,
clothes, decorations, art and appliances in working order(but not
regular size fridges) etc... We appreciate your support!

For more information about Dalgreen and CESR, please visit our web
sites:
Dalgreen http://bethechange.ca/dalgreen/
CESR http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

 MLA CALLS FOR FEES ON DISPOSABLE CUPS
 A Nova Scotia Liberal MLA says it's time to charge a five-cent fee on
disposable drinking cups to help pay for litter cleanup.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_feescups20030
414

SYRIA NOT NEXT ON THE LIST, SAYS U.K. OFFICIAL
Britain's foreign minister says the U.S. and U.K. have no intention of
attacking Syria but said there are \"important questions\" for the
country's government to answer.
FULL STORY:
http://cbc.ca/stories/2003/04/14/syria030414

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation