Dump & Run on May 3 and David Suzuki on May 14

From: "CESR" <cesr@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:08:20 -0300

A message from "CESR" <cesr@dal.ca> to Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar) subscribers.
Three things for your interest...

1) DUMP & RUN! Community Garage Sale and Environmental Fair
8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Saturday, May 3
Memorial Arena
(South St. and LeMarchant St.)
Dalhousie University
*Community Garage sale BY DONATION. Proceeds to local charities.
*Table displays by local environmental groups from Clean Nova Scotia,
Transport 2000 Atlantic, Be the Change / Solar Juice, The Grainery Food
Co-op, to Canadian Parks and Wilderness.
*At the Dump & Run, you can buy your tickets for David Suzuki.

2) DAVID SUZUKI AT DAL ON MAY 14 WITH HALIFAX MP ALEXA MCDONOUGH AS THE
MC FOR THE EVENING!
The Nature Challenge with DAVID SUZUKI on May 14 - Buy your tickets
soon! Dr. David Suzuki will be the guest speaker at an Ecology Action
Centre fundraiser in support of the centre and its dragger court
challenge. Dr. Suzuki will speak on the Nature Challenge and show a
short video. The event takes place at the McInnes Room on the 2nd floor
of the Dalhousie Student Union Building. The event will take place on
Wednesday, May 14 from 7:30-9:30 pm and tickets [$8 (unwaged)/$12
(waged)] are available by calling the Ecology Action Centre (429-2202).
There are only 600 seats. There will also be live music, entertainment,
display tables and free organic refreshments.

3) READ THIS:
Dr. Seuss USA 2003 *The message is appropriate for Canadians too!
(Originally: Dr. Seuss American 2003, author not yet known)

The Whos down in Whoville liked their country a lot, but
the Grinch in the White House most certainly did not.

He had not arrived through the will of the Whos
but stole an election he really did lose.

He vowed to "rule from the middle" then installed his regime. Did this
really happen? Was it just a bad dream?

He didn't listen to voters, just his friends was he pleasin', now
please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason.

Could be his heart wasn't working quite right.
Could be perhaps he wasn't too bright.

But I think the most likely reason of all
is both his brain and his heart were two sizes too small.

In a time of great turmoil, it was very bad news,
A government leader who ignored his Whos.

But the Whos shrugged their shoulders and went on with their work,
Their duties as CITIZENS they did casually shirk.

They shopped at the Mall, they watched their TV,
and drove a big fat shiny gas-guzzler SUV
Indifferent to the future being decided in Washington DC, Ignoring the
threats to democracy.

Instead, they read different newspapers that ran the same leads,
mostly reporting "news" that served corporate needs.

For policies affecting lives in all nations
were created by giant international corporations.

Big business grew fatter, fed by its own greed
But also by people shopping for what they don't need.

Then amidst all the apathy came signs of unrest --
And the Whos came to see they were fouling their nest.

The people who cared for ideals of the nation
Began to discuss and exchange information.
Events they could not find in corporation-owned news,
Like top secret meetings and CIA coups,
Drilling for oil and restriction of rights.

The Whos published books and made some websites,
started writing letters and using e-mail --
though Homeland Security might send them to jail!

What began as a whisper soon grew to a roar,
These things going on they?d no longer ignore!

They began to rise up and to fight City Hall,
Let their voices be heard, they rose to the call
To vote, to petition, to gather and dissent,
To question the policies of the "president."

As greed gained in power and power knew no shame
The Whos came together singing "Not in our name."

As one-by-one from their sleep they awoke,
The old, the young, and all kinds of folk:
Red, Black, Brown and White, bi, trans, gay and straight,
All united to sing "feed our hope, not your hate!"

Stop stockpiling weapons and aiming for war!
Stop feeding the rich and start feeding the poor.
Stop storming deserts to fuel SUVs
While telling us lies on our mainstream TVs.

Stop treating our children as a market to sack.
Stop feeding them BARBIE, BARNEY and BIG MAC.
Stop trying to addict them to lifelong consuming
In a time when environmental disaster is looming.

Stop the sanctions and killing of kids in Iraq
And deal with those of our own who are strung out on crack.

Then a mighty sound started to rise and to grow--
"The old way of thinking simply must go!"

Enough of God versus Allah, Muslim against Jew.
The state things are in this simply won't do!

No American Dream caring only for wealth
while ignoring all our communities' needs for health.

Rivers and forests are demanding their pay.
If we're to survive we must walk a new way.

No more excess of mindless consumption.
Let's sharpen our minds and strengthen our gumption.
For the ideas are simple but the practice is hard
and our future's not saved by a poem on a card.

It needs ideas and actions of every & each Who
So let's get together and plan what to do!

And so folks gathered from all 'round the Earth
And what came from this was a miracle of birth.

The hearts and minds of Whos they did grow
To fit what they felt and reflect what they know.

While the Grinches shrank from their hatred and greed,
Under the weight of their every foul deed.