sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Insurance dominates Day 1

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:14:02 -0400 (EDT)

Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)
Tip: your message didn't get posted? You probably sent it with html coding.
Use your "Format" pull-down menu to switch to plain text format.
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:

"Does anyone else think the NDP is missing the boat (no pun!).

The issue is NOT -- at least it shouldn't be -- cars. Cars are but a
means (and an environmentally harmful means) to an end. TRANSPORTATION
is the goal.

All the major parties seem to miss this. Perhaps I should not pick on the
NDP. But, I expect more from the NDP. I expect the NDP to grasp
environmental issues. I expect the NDP to stand up for Nova Scotians. Not
cars.

Transportation is about moving people, not cars. Cars are probably the
biggest environmental problem facing the world. They are responsible for
annually thousands of premature deaths due to air pollution alone, in
Canada.

Why fight to make it easier and cheaper for more people to own them ...
why push to get more private cars on our already crowded roads? Why be
part of the problem.

Here's hoping that between now and August 5 the NDP decide to be part of
the solution ... and start advocating for better public transportation that
will benefit all Nova Scotians .... not just those who want to pay less to
drive.

If anyone else has thoughts on this, I invite you to share them with
sust-mar. Tim, you are active in the Liberal party and you have been
working hard on sustainable transportation issues. What are your thoughts?
What is the Liberal position?

Of course, as in past elections, I welcome also response from the NDP, PC
and any other Parties on this ... or comment on other
environmentally-related election issues."

~paul :)

INSURANCE DOMINATES DAY 1

HALIFAX - Nova Scotia's official opposition is trying to make skyrocketing auto insurance rates the most important issue of this summer's provincial election.

In depth - Nova Scotia Votes 2003

Sunday was the first full day of campaigning for the three parties gearing up for the vote on Aug. 5. and the New Democrats used it to drive home their key message that rates are too high.

"Insurance rates have gone through the roof," said NDP Leader Darrell Dexter. "People need a break and the NDP is committed to a better deal."

Dexter has been campaigning on the issue for months. His party created a task force to study the problem of premiums which have increased, on average, by 65 per cent this year.

New Democrats want to create a government-run system in the province that they claim will cut rates from between 30 and 50 per cent.

Dexter says it's the single issue he hears most on the doorsteps.

"I think this is an issue that until there is a resolution will continue to haunt anybody who is either in power or running for election," he said.

But that's not the way the governing Tories see it. Conservative cabinet minister Tim Olive has dismissed the suggestion that auto insurance is the key issue in the campaign.

"It's a concern, but there are many concerns," he said. "There are health care concerns. There are education concerns. There are highway infrastructure concerns."

Liberal leader Danny Graham agrees auto insurance shouldn't be the only
issue of the campaign.

"If we just talk about auto insurance through this entire campaign then we
will have missed a golden opportunity to move this province forward," he
said.

Feedback - Your car insurance

The Liberals are guaranteeing to bring down rates 15 per cent if they form the next government. In return, insurance companies will be able to limit paying out benefits for certain injuries.

The Conservatives are looking at a similar arrangement and promise to drop rates by 20 per cent. However, Premier John Hamm isn't discussing details.

The NDP is adamant the insurance issue is worth debating by itself, but neither of its rivals has shown interest in taking part in any one-issue debate.

Copyright © 2003 CBC All Rights Reserved
This story, forwarded to you by pfalvo@chebucto.ca,
appears on http://cbc.ca at the following URL:
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns_elxnissu20030706

CAPE BRETON SMOKE-FREE
A bylaw that bans smoking in all public places takes effect in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality on Monday, making the whole island now smoke-free.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns_smokesyd20030707

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Did a friend forwarded this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca