sust-mar: This Thursday help us plan a "Day of Action for Fish & Fish Habitat"

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:39:53 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Dear Sust-Mar Folks,

We would love your assistance in planning a "Day of Action" to raise
awareness about the plight of fish and the destruction of fish habitat.
This Day of Action will take place in the third week of January, just
days before the Ecology Action Centre will be in court challenging the
Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) for allowing dragging/dredging
of the ocean floor which is destroying coral and precious fish habitat.
We will be meeting this Thursday at the Ecology Action Centre to
starting our two-month preparation.

In January, we are hoping to have a day filled with various
awareness-raising activities, such as a film showing ("Empty Oceans,
Empty Nets"), information drive about fish consumption and conservation,
a panel discussion on sustainable fisheries, a fish die-in, hauling a
dragger through the streets of Halifax, a radio show, a press
conference, a restaurant campaign, a theatre piece etc... We are open to
your input and ideas. To pull this "Day of Action" off, we need your
help: we need everyone from environmentalists, media people, artists,
marine biologists, activists, fish lovers, fishers to consumers, etc...
to get involved.

We will be having our first organizing meeting this Thursday, November
20 from 6:15-7:15 PM at the Ecology Action Centre, 1568 Argyle St., in
downtown Halifax. As an enticement, we will have homemade chocolate chip
cookies for you!

If you can't make the meeting, but would like to get involved or come to
a future meeting, please reply to Tamara Lorincz: tlorincz@dal.ca

For background information as to how bad of shape the major fish species
are and the Atlantic Ocean is, please check out:

Ransom Myers and Boris Worm's article in Nature - major fish species at
10% biomass and may be extinct in our lifetime
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030515075848.htm

Comprehensive DFO survey shows that ground fish (cod, haddock etc.) are
worse than they predicted
http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2003/11/06/f102.raw.html

Deborah MacKenzie's work on "A Starving Ocean"
http://www.fisherycrisis.com

Ecology Action Centre's Court Challenge to Stop Dragging
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/EAC_WEB_1/MIC2/MICFrameset.html

For our fish, our oceans, and our future generations - please join us
this Thursday!

Tamara Lorincz
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
(902) 443-2423
tlorincz@dal.ca
CESR: http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr/
"A better world is possible"

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca