sust-mar: Three December events: Landmines Exhibit, Fish Day, and Peace Reading Group

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:01:58 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Hello Sust-Mar!

Three events FYI:

1. Surviving Landmines: The Legacy of the Perfect Soldier
An exhibit by Giovanni Diffidenti
Wednesday December 3 at 8:30pm
The Velvet Olive - Market Street - Halifax
FEATURING KOJO (A great groovy dancing band!)

On December 3rd we mark the Anniversary of the Ottawa Convention
banning the use of anti-personnel landmines. To celebrate the
Convention, and those whose lives the Convention has helped, Oxfam
and the Youth Mine Action Ambassador Program invite you to join us
for a unique and powerful exhibit entitled Surviving Landmines: The
Legacy of the Perfect Soldier. The exhibit will be appearing one night
only. Suggested donation is $5 students/unwaged and $10 waged. Proceeds
from the door will go to Canadian Physicians for Aid and Relief.

2. Care about fish and the oceans? Come to our second organizing meeting
for the "Day of Action for Fish and Fish Habitat" this Thursday,
December 4 from 5:30-6:30 PM at the Ecology Action Centre (EAC), 1568
Argyle St. Brownies supplied. Our Day of Action is planned for the third
week of January and we need all hands on deck to pull it off - a fish
die in, a consumer/restaurant campaign, a panel discussion, a film
showing, theatrical pieces are some of the events planned... All our
welcome to help out!
For a copy of Ransom Myers' and Boris Worm's Nature article about the
threat to the major fish species, please go to: http://fish.dal.ca/

3. The Halifax Peace Coalition invites you to participate in our reading
and discussion on "Canada and Militarization" on Monday, Dec. 15 from
7-9PM in the seminar room of the silver Computer Science Building, 6050
University Avenue, Dalhousie University (the security person in the
front lobby can tell you which seminar room exactly). We will be reading
Stephen Staples' piece "Breaking Rank: A Citizens' Review of Canada's
Military Spending" booklet. To get a copy of the booklet, you can
purchase it through the Polaris Institute for $8 including shipping or
you can download it for free from the Polaris Institute web site (it's
49 pages and you need adobe acrobat reader):
http://www.polarisinstitute.org/ For more information about this reading
group, please email Carolyn at 'cvangurp@chebucto.ns.ca' For more
information about the Halifax Peace Coalition, please visit our web site
at: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/ We usually have meetings event Monday
from 7-8PM in the Computer Science Building - new members are very
welcome!

Happy December!

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
(902) 443-2423
tlorincz@dal.ca
CESR: http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr/
EAC: http://www.ecologyaction.ca
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
"A better world is possible"

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca