sust-mar: Municipal elections- Oct/04

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "" <ffawson@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:54:29 -0500 (EST)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!

Municipal Politics
Opening a Window of Activist Opportunity by Frank Fawson

In the fall of 1988, I became a "politician", with all the negative baggage the name carries. "No, wait," I said to myself, "I'm not a politician, I'm just very political."

Offering your services to local government is not something that should be reserved for the politicians. I think average people have to be encouraged to run in local politics so our communities can utilize the creative ideas and energy of a broader cross-section of the public. The challenges facing our communities demand that all of us take more responsibility. One important way we can do this is through our municipal councils.

Municipal politics don't openly involve political parties. Personally, I feel the parties have far too much control of our electoral process, with the important exception of municipal elections. Despite the fact that most municipal politicians belong to a political party, all would maintain that their party affiliation does not sway their decision making. That's certainly open for debate, but party control is very much diminished at the municipal level. The possibility of being elected without belonging to a party is then much higher.

Elections are windows of opportunity, providing community activists with a reason to knock on doors and talk about community issues at a time when the public is attentive. Seeds can be planted that may bear fruit only at a much later date. My number-one goal in any election is to raise the level of discussion, to get people interested. In municipal elections, less than one half of eligible voters cast a ballot, so getting more people out to the polls can win elections.

Community government can sometimes appear petty and it often looks like it's going nowhere fast. Council meetings can be highly dysfunctional. Controversial issues, such as garbage disposal, often proceed painfully slowly. But there is also an opportunity at the local level to involve more people's ideas in the discussion. Elected councillors can become facilitators of a process that includes the public. Starting at the municipal level, participatory democracy could begin to replace the "old boy's club", the sort of representative democracy we now suffer under.

Participatory democracy could be a vehicle for reclaiming more control of our political institutions at all levels of government. Imagine the potential impact when the bulk of people in a community are vocally on side with their local government demanding input into decisions made at the provincial level that are impacting the lives of people in the community. We could empower local government to a point where we actually have some control over decisions made in Halifax.

The timing of municipal elections is fixed - they are held every four years on the third Saturday in October. The next municipal elections will be held across Nova Scotia on October 16, 2004. This means community-minded people have to start thinking about municipal politics now.

The planning starts long before you get nomination papers in September and start filling out forms and affidavits. Anyone interested in running next autumn should have most of their planning in place by the coming spring. Campaigning before next fall can be useful, but the time to be best prepared for is immediately following Labour Day in September.

If you choose to run, the biggest cost will be your time. If you don't live in either the Halifax or Cape Breton Regional Municipality, it's a realistic goal to knock on every door in your electoral district. In 1988 and 1991 in Halifax'sWard 4, it took me about five weeks, working full-time, to do this. In 1997 and 2000 in District 4 in Lunenburg County, it took about the same amount of time. Nominations usually don't close until late September and you can use the voters list to reach as many people as possible.

Advertising is expected, and can be expensive, so you need to be creative. An effective campaign can be mounted for less than $1000. One well-thought-out 8 1/2"x11" pamphlet with your picture and something of your background can work well. Outline the basic questions people want answered, and give your thoughts on them. In many rural communities, friends can help you get your pamphlet into mailboxes. Another piece of literature, such as a calling card to leave at the door when nobody is home, can also be useful. If you can't find a sympathetic local sign-maker, signs can be a considerable expense, but far more effective than any amount of signs is direct contact with people.

Many of us struggle with the inability of our political institutions to provide a vehicle where communities can have input into shaping their future. I believe that it is time for a loosely knit coalition of individuals, like minded in wanting to serve their communities' best interests, to come together to get candidates elected on October 16, 2004. This might even attract media attention to municipal elections, which are typically very quiet.

I'll offer whatever time and energy I can to assist anyone interested in these ideas. A gathering to discuss past election experiences, and upcoming election plans and strategies, could be easily arranged if there is interest out there.
Remember: "Think Globally - Act Locally" The change begins in your neighbourhood.

Frank Fawson is a carpenter presently living on a century old farm in Dayspring, Lunenburg County, N.S. He was first prompted to become a candidate in Halifax municipal elections because he felt democracy wasn't being served by yet another uncontested election. He now believes local government can become a primary vehicle for change in our communities and encourages everyone to become more involved.
He can be reached at (902) 543-9166. Email: ffawson@excite.com

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca