sust-mar: Seven things from peace events to interesting web sites

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:19:35 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Hello Sust-Mar!

Seven things from web sites to events...

1) Please be sure to sign the open letter to Paul Martin telling him you
want Canada to stay out of American Ballistic Missile Defence:
www.ceasefire.ca

2) PEACE: IN PERSPECTIVE: An evening of celebration
6:30 p.m. in room 303 of the
Dalhousie Student Union Building
(Doors open at 6 p.m.)
Refreshments served. All welcome.
CHOOSING PEACE- COLLECTIVELY WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Introductions and Welcome
About the Publication: "Peace in Perspective"

Keynote Address
Mayann Francis, Director/CEO of the
Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission

CREATING PEACE - ONE PERSON AT A TIME
Special Guest Speakers
Edy Guy-Francois - Principal of Caledonia Junior High
Ronalda Murphy, Professor of Law, Dalhousie University
Sean Grouse
Halifax Peace Coalition

SHARING PEACE - THROUGH COMMUNICATION PEACE WILL BE MAINTAINED
Meet with others and browse information tables. Have a snack!

For more information, please contact:
Cherise Adjodha at 494 6662 or email: nspirg@dal.ca

3) From: "CAROLYN GREEN" <cgreen@csbfacmgt.csbfm.dal.ca>
I am sending this to various individuals and groups who might be
interested in the placement of new bike racks at Dalhousie. I have a
small budget and will be determining a number of new locations for bike
racks around the university, including Sexton Campus. I have organized a
meeting to receive input regarding locations and any related matters
such as the type of bike rack. Please pass this invite along to any
others you know might be interested: Place: Computer Science Building,
University Avenue
Seminar Room #2
Time: Wednesday May 26, 1:00-2:30 p.m.

4) La FemmeFilm is proud to invite you to the film "Sanctuary the story
of Sanja Pecelj"
At 5522 Russell St. Halifax
St. Marks Anglican Church
Thursday, May 27,2004
7:45 pm . free admission.
Donations on behalf of Sanja are appreciated.  please check her web site
www.freesanjapecelj.com

5) FREE SANJA RALLY
Kosovar refugee Sanja Pecelj has been in Sanctuary
in a Halifax church basement for over 400 days.
Canadian Immigration has the power to set her free.
JOIN US FOR A RALLY!
Bring your bells and whistles
Where: Citizenship and Immigration Canada
1741 Brunswick Street, Halifax
Across from the Citadel Clock
When: Thursday, June 3, 2004, at 12:00 Noon
Guest Speakers:
Bill Carr - Motivational Speaker and
Federal NDP candidate for Halifax West
Lee Cohen - Sanja's Lawyer
Alexa McDonough - Halifax MP
Guest Musician: Dani Oore - Saxophone
"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be
demanded by the oppressed."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
For more information  and interviews contact:
janice.jackson@ns.sympatico.ca

6) Towards an Expanded Mandate for the Canadian War Museum?
A new Canadian War Museum is being constructed in Ottawa at an initial
cost of $136 million, covering a space larger than a city block. It is
designed "to show how war has shaped Canada, and to present the
personal, national and international dimensions of our military history.
Its mission will be to Remember, Preserve and Educate". A growing number
of Canadians are questioning whether this new Museum will remember,
preserve and educate, not only about Canada's military history, but also
the major role Canadians have played, and continue to play, in war
prevention, disarmament, and the peaceful resolution of violent
conflicts.  Would you favour the expansion of the mandate of the new
Canadian War Museum in this way, or not? We want to hear from you or
please contact the Canadian War Museum at 819-776-8607.
http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/new/ca_indexe.html