sust-mar: Six things to keep you busy this spring

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 04:18:21 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!

Six things to keep you busy this spring!

Tamara

The Ecology Action Centre is hosting its first annual "Green Home
Auction." Fans of their annual Garden Party will definitely enjoy this
new twist on an old favorite. Join emcee Olga Milosevich and auctioneer
John Dunsworth for a lively afternoon with a fabulous array of items to
decorate your home inside and out. Featuring home accessories, pottery,
Nova Scotia folk art, consultations,gardening supplies, plants, spa
services, getaway weekends and much, much more! All in support of a
great cause.

Sunday, May 30th
St.Mary's Boat Club
1641 Fairfield Road,Halifax
12:00 - 4:00pm

Great door prizes * refreshments * live music

Tickets: $7 adults |$5 seniors & students available at the door or call
the EAC at 429-2202.

Support the Ecology Action Centre, Nova Scotia's Oldest Environmental
Organization

The Eco-Efficiency Centre would like to invite you to the 5th annual
Environmental Excellence in Business breakfast. It is being held during
Canadian Environment Week, on Wednesday, June 2nd at the Park Place
Ramada Plaza Hotel in Burnside, between 8:00 and 10:00 am. The annual
Environmental Excellence in Business breakfast is an opportunity for the
Centre to recognize local companies working on economic and
environmental improvements. These companies recognize that paying
attention to the environment is simply good business. They use
innovative thinking in approaching how they can reduce their "ecological
footprint", and they serve as role models for other businesses in Nova
Scotia, and across Canada. We are pleased to have the Hon. Kerry Morash,
Minister of the Nova Scotia Department of Environment and Labour, as
guest speaker for this year's breakfast. Mr. Morash will be speaking on
"Putting Pollution Prevention into Practice in Nova Scotia". This year's
breakfast will also provide the Centre with an opportunity to reflect on
our five years of working with the business community, and highlight our
most recent activities on the local, national and international stages.
We will officially announce the addition of a new corporate partner for
the Eco-Efficiency Centre. This is a five-year partnership to support
environmental education efforts targeting both the academic and business
community.

Tickets are $15, and must be reserved.

For more info, phone the EEC: 461- 6704

Bike Week / The Commuter Challenge
May 31 - June 5
It's our favourite time of the year when we collectively celebrate our
2-wheeled, people-powered, eco-friendly choice of transport. TRAX is
hosting 7 events, and we invite you to attend every one. They're all
free, and they're all going to be fun, so don't miss out! Check out the
TRAX website for more info and a list of events.
http://www.trax.ns.ca/news_bike_week2004.html
- Come out for a Critical Mass ride in support of several recent
cyclists killed by vehicles on Friday, May 28 at 5pm.  Meet at the
corner of Bell and Trollope by the Community College. For more info,
phone TRAX at 429-0924.

*Be sure to take the Commuter Challenge: http://www.commuterchallenge.ca

See the Film: "Super Size Me!" (http://www.supersizeme.com/)

"Super Size Me" opens on Friday, May 28 at the Oxford Theatre on
Quinpool St. and runs for at least 2 weeks. The film is 1 hour & 45
minutes and plays every night at 7 pm and 9:15 pm. Phone the Oxford for
more details: 423-7488.

About the film: "Why are Americans so fat? Find out in Super Size Me, a
tongue in-cheek - and burger in hand -- look at the legal, financial and
physical costs of America's hunger for fast food."

FOOD, DRUGS, DEVELOPMENT & PATENTS:  WHO CONTROLS THE FUTURE?
In June, Geoff Tansey, Honorary Visiting Research Fellow in Peace
Studies at the University of Bradford, UK, will be visiting Halifax on a
Canadian public interest speaking tour.

On Monday, June 14 at 7:00 pm in the McMechan Room at the Dalhousie
University Library, Geoff will be speaking about the current shaping of
international trade rules in the narrow interests of a few major
industries, and the increasing threats to food security, biodiversity,
health and traditional knowledge for the rest of world (Chapter 11).
Patents (privileges and ownership and control) are now being built into
international trade agreements that affect who has access to and use of
food, seeds, technology, knowledge, medicines, biodiversity, scientific
research and much more.

Geoff is a full time writer and consultant for the Quaker International
affairs Program (QIAP) in Ottawa and for the Quaker United Nations
Office (QUNO) in Geneva on intellectual property issues.

The meeting is being co-sponsored by Quaker International Affairs
Program Committee, NSPIRG, Oxfam Canada and Halifax Friends Meeting
(Quakers).

For further information contact Betty Peterson, 454-8664.

During this election, if you want to promote the environment, peace,
health care, education etc... please consider joining the Trading Option
Coalition as we distribute the Council of Canadians' "Voter's Guide" at
various locations around Halifax, please email Chris Maxwell for more
details: maxwell@cs.dal.ca

Also, if you are concerned about keeping Canada out of American
Ballistic Missile Defence/Star Wars and wanting to raise this as an
election issue, you are welcome to join the Halifax Peace Coalition as
we prepare to greet Martin, Harper and others with banners and signs
when they come to our city, please email:  hfxpeace@chebucto.ca

We need to spread the word among our families, friends and communities
about all the important issues in this election.

Check out:
www.voteforachange.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca