sust-mar: YouthCANVote

From: "Estair Van Wagner" <evwagner@dal.ca>
To: "Sust-Mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:05:30 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Hello fellow Nova Scotians!!

You may have heard that a group of local concerned young people have
banded together to create a movement amongst the age 18-24 demographic.
The focus is the upcoming Federal Election (June 28).  We will be hosting
a free concert/information event on Saturday, June 19th from 1:00 - 6:00pm
at the Halifax Parade Square.

GET INVOLVED!!!

We are holding an open meeting for all concerned citizens on FRIDAY, JUNE
11 at 7:00pm.  The location is the 4th Floor BOARDROOM in the Dalhousie
Computer Science Building which is located on 6050 University Ave.

If you cannot make the meeting, you can still help out! If you would like
to donate money, or know others who would like to donate to this event,
please e-mail us immediately. If you would like to volunteer to help out
with logistics at the event, please e-mail us immediately. If you would
like to volunteer any time at all spreading the word about possible
sponsorship on our behalf, please e-mail us immediately.

Basically, if you are willing and able to help out, PLEASE E-MAIL
IMMEDIATELY.

Below you will find a press release which has been sent to the media
outlining the background of this event. If you have the time, please read.
Also, please forward this to every e-mail contact you have that lives in
Nova Scotia (immediately).

We appreciate all assistance you can give, and please book 1-6 pm on
Saturday June 19 to listen to some local bands and increase your knowledge
base before the election!

Respectfully Yours,

~Youth CAN Vote Executive~
info@youthcanvote.ca

Sylvie Aikman
Jesse Maclean
John Kelley
Jeff Britton
Linda Thieu
Keith Maddison
Alex Goss
Mike Leonard
Estair Van Wagner

*******************************

Youth take voter awareness into their own hands

For Immediate Release:

Halifax, NS - In light of the upcoming federal election, a group of young
Nova Scotians have banded together to raise awareness amongst youth in
regards to the election, as well as issues facing the younger population.
Youth CAN Vote was the brainchild of Jesse MacLean and Sylvie Aikman, who
contacted friends after discovering that approximately 75% of eligible
voters between the ages of 18 - 24 do not vote.

"Whether this portion of the population is unaware, disenfranchised or
uneducated about the issues, the fact of the matter is that a significant
portion of the eligible voters are not participating in the democratic
process, nor do many seem to care," said MacLean, age 24, from Dartmouth,
NS.

Within two weeks MacLean and Aikman have formed a Youth CAN Vote committee
of fifteen young people spearheading the organization of a public
awareness event for young people.  The event will target eligible youth
voters by gathering together local musical talent who will perform at a
free concert in Halifax's Grand Parade Square on Saturday, June 19 between
1:00 pm to 6:00 pm.  Not only will young people hear the music of local
bands, but they will also have the opportunity to meet local candidates
and learn about the election process, become informed about the issues
affecting Canada, and take charge of their future by making their voices
heard today.

"I look forward to the mixing of music with politics, and hope this event
will spark the interest of our quiet demographic.  We've invited
representatives from the various political parties, and hope this
non-partisan event will be an eye-opener to the younger generation of
Canadians," said Aikman, age 23, originally from Baddeck, NS.

The Youth CAN Vote organizing committee has received positive feedback
from politicians, educators, community leaders, university students'
unions and musicians, and realize this event could be the beginning of a
much larger youth movement in Nova Scotia.  The committee is currently
working to raise funds and finalize the acts for next Saturday's
performance, but have already begun envisioning long-term goals including
solidifying themselves as a non-profit organization, and working on future
projects when provincial and/or municipal elections are called.

"To have the opportunity to entertain while our peers become educated
about important political issues will be an exciting experience.  I think
Nova Scotians can expect to hear much more from this group of young people
in the near future," said MacLean.

-30-

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/1MXolB/TM