sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Green platform targets wider audience

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:24:37 -0400 (EDT)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:
""
GREEN PLATFORM TARGETS WIDER AUDIENCE

HALIFAX -
The Green Party of Canada hopes to win more than votes this federal election.

In the 2000 election, the Green party got less than one per cent of the popular vote. It didn't win any seats in the House of Commons.

The party ran only 111 candidates then, but this time it plans to run candidates in all 308 ridings. Under Canada's new election financing law, the party will get $2 million if it wins two per cent of the popular vote.

Organizers say that's enough to hire staff and work at making the party a real force in Canadian politics.

Canada Votes - Election news, information

The Green platform includes a 10-per-cent increase over three years in the tax on gas &#150 a conservation measure. The higher gas tax is offset by lower personal and corporate income taxes.

Martin Willison, a biologist at Dalhousie University, is the Green candidate in Nova Scotia's Halifax West riding. He wonders if the collapse of the Atlantic ground fishery would've happened had Canadians voted Green years ago.

"I expect that our policy of protecting the coean itself rather than the fishing 'industry' would have produced a very different result. Instead, we allowed trawlers to destroy what had been our birthright," he says.

Willison doesn't expect to be elected to Parliament, but he's telling people who are tired of politics as usual that there's another option.