sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Fish company denounces turbot deal

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:
""
FISH COMPANY DENOUNCES TURBOT DEAL

HALIFAX -
A Nova Scotia-based fishing company says it's losing business because of a deal that allows a foreign ship to fly the Canadian flag and catch turbot off Nunavut.

Davis Strait Fisheries employs 136 people. It has spent the past nine years helping to build a turbot fishery off Nunavut to supplement its shrimp business.

But company president Grant Stonehouse says a new fishery coalition in Nunavut has chartered its own boat to catch turbot. He's upset the group did not ask for Canadian bids.

"Had we lost a proposal based on economics or our inability to meet their requirements that's fine, that's business," Graham says.

Under the two-year deal, the ship will fish turbot in the upper part of Davis Strait, which is controlled by the Baffin Fisheries Coalition. The coalition was assigned the entire O-A quota.

The federal government has been criticized for allowing a foreign boat to move into the turbot fishery and carry the
Canadian flag. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans defends the deal, saying it's a good one because the boat will employ local people.

 Stonehouse says his boats have always used Nunavut fishing crews. Losing the turbot quota in the north will seriously hurt his business, he adds. "We're taking a very careful look at our operations."

 Nunavut organizations are supporting the turbot deal. Baffin Fisheries Coalition CEO Gerry Ward says it will help keep southern-Canadian interests out in the long term, and that will prevent southern companies from claiming historical rights based on their role in developing Nunavut's fishery.

Still, Stonehouse wants the federal government to develop strong regulations to protect the $500-million investment Canadian companies have in the offshore fleet.