sust-mar: Winnipeg arrest /Glenda's statement of mistreatment

From: "Helen Jones" <hjones@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Sustainable-Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:13:09 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!

Glenda Whiteman's account of her arrest in Winnipeg is very disturbing.

She is one of the many chemically sensitive Canadians who have worked for a
pesticide-free community.  She was very ill following this incident.
Those who are pesticide sensitive must have better legal protection.

For myself, I am appalled that a city government could show such disregard
for public health.  Adulticiding mosquitoes, at worst, can result in
rebounding swarms many times their original numbers, and at best is
recognized as an ineffective control measure according to the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention.  Malathion has been banned in Sweden because
of it's health risks, and epidemiological research in Canada shows it can
severely depress immune system function.  Is this what the children of
Winnipeg deserve?

Helen

________

Concerned  Residents  Of  Winnipeg, Inc.
31 Alloway Avenue		Phone:  (204) 229-9613
Winnipeg, MB   R3G 0Z7	Email: CROWinc@mts.net

Statement--July 21, 2004

Winnipeg's Finest and Worst

I was arrested in the early hours of July 20 and charged with Mischief and
Resisting Arrest for having blockaded fogging trucks at 3 Grey Street.  At
around 6 am, I could have been released had I agreed to sign the conditions
of release.  At that time, I also refused to sign an allegation of
mistreatment by the police.  I had previously complained of injuries as a
result of my arrest and I had requested ice for the bruises.  I was offered
a trip to emergency, but not ice.  At 6 am, I was not accusing the police of
any wrongdoing because I received my bruises as a direct result of my own
physical resistance.  The arresting officers and some others treated me with
utmost professionalism and respect.  One officer in particular did
everything he could to calm me down and de-escalate the situation right from
the first moments of contact.  Throughout the night, the arresting officers
and some police were kind and considerate of my invisible disability,
Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, while some others were not.

Unfortunately for the state of my health, there was a shift change shortly
after I refused the offer to be released.  While I waited to appear before a
Magistrate (to have the Release Conditions imposed upon me, since I had
refused them) I was subjected to intense mental cruelty, more verbal abuse
and threats and nothing short of chemical torture.   One officer went so far
as to spray a can of pesticides around in the hallway outside of my holding
cell, while making cruel taunts, immediately prior to removing me from the
room.  After that, I believe they had a cleaner come in to specially prepare
another cell for me, with a very strong smelling disinfectant, which I had
already told them I was unable to tolerate.  From the second I was placed in
that cell, I told the officer that I was unable to breathe and would become
ill if forced to remain in the room. He was not only uncaring, he was
verbally abusive and physically pushed me back into the room.  When a
different officer let me out a short time later, I came very close to having
an asthma attack on the floor.

The behavior of many of the police officers was disgusting and cruel.  I
used to teach elementary school children how to stand up to a bully on the
playground.  When someone is very cruel, tell them, "That hurt."  When the
bully responds with, "Well, it was supposed to hurt, stupid" you answer,
"Well, it did."  So I now say to all the police bullies that I had the
misfortune to meet yesterday and all the others who stood by, watching and
laughing, "That hurt.  You guys did a great job of hurting me."  I am aware
that some people in Winnipeg will think I got exactly what I deserved.

I also wish to say thank you to the officers who were kind.

My physical bruises will heal, but I will never forget the emotional and
chemical abuse that was imposed upon me here at what is known as the Public
Safety Building, at the hands of the Winnipeg City Police Department.

-30-

Concerned Residents Of Winnipeg, Inc.
31 Alloway Avenue Phone: (204) 229-9613
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0Z7 Email: CROWinc@mts.net
Media Statement Announcement

July 21, 2004

Thank you to everyone for allowing me a brief period of recuperation
yesterday. I am aware that I missed many calls from media and I am sorry
that I was not well enough to speak to you.

I will be reading a brief prepared statement about my period of
incarceration with the Winnipeg City Police, followed by a question and
answer period, outside of the Public Safety Building on Princess Avenue at
11:30 am. Paper copies of the statement will be made available.
You are invited to attend if you are able to print or air the entire
statement. Serious allegations of mistreatment will be made and I will not
be misquoted.

Thank you.
Glenda :)
Glenda Whiteman
Executive Director
(204) 779-3660

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca