sust-mar: FW: ACTION ALERT -MGP Operations Bid (fwd)

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:07:33 -0400 (AST)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!

                               .
Forwarded from Ecology North. The MGP is not just a Northern issue. It
affects all Earthlings.

>From: Robert Bromley <bbromley@nt.sympatico.ca>
>To: Ecology North <admin@ecologynorth.ca>
>Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:06:44 -0700
>

>*****************************************************************************************************************
>
>PLEASE TAKE A COUPLE MINUTES OF YOUR TIME - THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT IF YOU
>HAVE ANY CONCERNS AT ALL ABOUT THE FUTURE INTEGRITY OF THE NORTHWEST
>TERRITORIES , CANADA'S ENERGY RESOURCES , AND CLIMATE CHANGE
>OK, so this is a long one, but not as long as the proposed pipeline, and
>certainly not nearly as long as we will be feeling the effects of the
>Mackenzie Gas Project (MGP) if it goes ahead without a little bit of effort
>on our parts. And, since those of you who came to the AGM last month were
>unanimous in Ecology North's need to be part of the MGP review, here is
>your chance to help out.
>So, MGP Operation BID (that would be "bog it down") is put forward. If
>we're not going to be given the resources to truly "meaningfully
>participate" in the Joint Review Panel (JRP) and National Energy Board
>(NEB) processes, it is hereby suggested that we as organisations and,
>equally important, if not more, as individuals capable of long-term
>thought, use the free opportunties before us to make some statements - that
>is, APPLY FOR INTERVENOR STATUS TO THE JRP AND NEB PROCESSES!!!!!!!! *AS
>MANY INDIVIDUALS AS POSSIBLE COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PROCESS*
>1) Some thoughts on WHY - *especially NEB intervenor status* (back-up
>detail provided below):
>- it's FREE!! (even if you have no intention of reading another paragraph
>about the MGP and want to crawl back into a snowbank, an initial influx of
>applications for intervenor status would send an important message - that
>is, we are concerned about this project and despite what they say, we're
>not convinced our public governments will speak for our best interests;
>- it's not onerous (if you apply, become an intervenor, and then opt for
>the snowbank option you won't have MGP review cops appear on your doorstep
>to drag you to a public hearing);
>- at the end of the day the JRP will only be able to make recommendations
>about the project, AND their report will just be one piece (among many) of
>evidence considered by the NEB;
>- the NEB has turned down a project before on the basis of "not being in
>the public interest" - i.e., lots of public outcry - project was Sumas 2 in
>BC in March 2004
>(http://www.neb-one.gc.ca/newsroom/releases/nr2004/nr0404_e.htm) ;
>- on account of 400 applications for intervenor status for the Sumas 2
>review the NEB adapted its process to accommodate the public interest -
>i.e., we could force NEB hearings to be held in more locations so that we
>could actually participate - this is important regardless of whether you
>wish to stop the project or ensure the review is the most rigorous possible
> [...]

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca