sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Traffic solutions sought in bridge study

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:02:22 -0500 (EST)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:
"Maybe folks can pursuade them to revise that crazy bike lane on the MacDonald Bridge that requires cyclists to ride down then up the hill! (Is it still like that)?"
TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS SOUGHT IN BRIDGE STUDY

HALIFAX -
A study has been proposed to find ways to improve traffic over the two bridges spanning Halifax Harbour.

The last time the capacity of the MacKay and Macdonald bridges was studied was in 1991, eight years before the third lane was added to the Macdonald.

Traffic has increased and currently there are almost 32 million trips a year across both bridges.

Halifax regional Coun. Andrew Younger says it's time for a new study, especially since municipal planners predict the population could grow by 100,000 over the next 25 years.

"We need to figure out now at what point does rush hour just start getting longer and longer because we can't get people across the harbour," said Younger, who also sits on the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission.

The proposed $65,000 study would look at all aspects of the two bridges, with the cost split between the commission and the Halifax Regional Municipality.

"If there's things we could do either to our toll plaza or access ... to improve the traffic flow, you know we're responsible to take those measures," said Steve Snider, general manager of the bridge commission.

Official site - Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission

Copyright © 2005 CBC All Rights Reserved
This story, forwarded to you by pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca,
appears on http://cbc.ca at the following URL:
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns-bridges-hrm20050208
Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca