sust-mar: An Outdoor Adventure Weekend with Sierra Club Atlantic Canada March 19th

From: "Emily McMillan" <emilym@sierraclub.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:08:58 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Please circulate/Sorry for cross-postings!

An Outdoor Adventure Weekend!

Want to get out of the city for a day or two, or maybe you’re tired of the
same thing every weekend?

Do something different this weekend….
The outdoor adventure weekend is an outing planned by the Sierra Club of
Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter to enjoy and learn about outdoor winter
adventures. Learn some outdoor skills like: Snow Shoeing, Cross-Country
Skiing, Winter kitchen/Fire Building, Forest Edibles and much more.

Saturday, March 19th, 2005
10:00am - 4:30pm
1400 Forest Hill Rd, Wolfville NS

Only $25 per person for a full day of adventure.
 Lunch provided as well as equipment if needed

Registration is limited so sign up now!

Workshops:

Winter  Kitchen/Fire Building
          Learn how to turn your outdoor winter surroundings into working
kitchen. We’ll show you how to build a fire in the snow, and how to engineer
yourself a way to keep food from freezing and many more neat tricks.

Winter Tips and Tricks
          Ever want to go on a winter adventure and find yourself saying,
“It’s too cold”? Learn how your winter clothing can be your ticket to
outdoor survival. We will show you things about clothing you never knew, and
you can enjoy your outdoor adventures so much more.

Cross-country Skiing
          Have you ever gone cross-country skiing before? You should
definitely try it; our skiing session is for all levels of skiers. Learn how
skiing is a great way to winter travel, and some tricks to help you enjoy it
more.

The Adventure That’s a Great Exercise
          Snow shoeing is one of the oldest methods of winter travel. Try
your hand at this method of travel and understand why it is so popular. Take
a hike and access places you would normally not go, and enjoy the beauties
that winter nature has to offer.
*If the conditions are not suitable for the cross-country skiing and
snowshoeing, alternate activities
of either ice-skating on the lake, or a winter hiking will take place. (Your
own skates are needed)

An Excursion for Forest Edibles
            We will learn what edible plants there are in the Acadian
forest. Find out when and where you might find a snack or a plant that might
save you from starving!

Let’s Track the Beast!
          Well, we might not exactly have a Sasquatch to track, but take it
from a tracking professional, there are lots of interesting animals you can
track in your own back yard and beyond. . Learn about winter tracking
techniques, scat and browse.  Animal tracks may include snowshoe hare,
coyote, fox, birds, mice, squirrels and much more!

Registration Form
* Registration is limited so Please fill out this section and return to
(davemcg@sierraclub.ca) or the mailing address below

 Name:
Address:

E-Mail:
Phone:

I need Cross-country Skies     Yes/No
I need Snow Shoes                  Yes/No

I am vegetarian                        Yes/No
I am Vegan                              Yes/No
Other Dietary Needs/Allergies:

Driving Directions
Take the 101 to Annapolis Valley. Get off at Exit 10 (Grand Pre/Wolfville
Exit). Drive into Wolfville. Turn left on Gaspereau Ave. across from Tim
Hortons. Follow this road up the hill, under the highway and down the other
side. Go across the river and turn right just before the Shell station. Go
past Gaspereau Elementary School up the hill to the top. Turn left on Forest
Hill Road and drive ~1km to #1400 on right side - green house with wacky
mailbox. Call (902) 542-9488 if you have any trouble.

 Call Dave at The Sierra Club of Canada Atlantic Canada Chapter for more
information.
(902) 444-3113

Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter
1657 Barrington St., Suite 507
Halifax, NS, B3J 2A1
Phone: 902-444-3113
Fax: 902-444-3116
www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic

One Earth...One Chance
Become a member today - Online!  Visit:
https://www.sierraclub.ca/national/getinvolved/join.php

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca