sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Coffee contest leads to trash talk

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:48:19 -0500 (EST)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:
""
COFFEE CONTEST LEADS TO TRASH TALK

HALIFAX -
Coffee giant Tim Hortons' annual contest to "roll up the rim" has some environmentalists thinking of trash.

Although the company's coffee cups are made out of paper, they're not compostable.

A study done in Nova Scotia in 1998 showed that Tim Hortons disposable coffee cups made up more than 20 per cent of the province's litter.

With so many people playing the "roll up the rim to win" contest, some people worry more cups are ending up in the streets and in landfills.

"Maybe there are creative ways of doing it that doesn't create more waste," said Ron Coleman, executive-director of GPI Atlantic, an organization that measures environmental progress in the region.

Customers like Chris Morash say Tim Hortons should sell compostable cups to deal with the litter problem.

"They should, with the amount of money they are making off of us. I probably spend about $30 a month there," he said.

The company defends itself, saying it works with many groups doing community cleanup and encourages people not to litter.

In New Brunswick, Tim Hortons has found a recycling plant that's able to deal with the litter problem.

"We run [the cups] through our dry plant and recycle them with our boxboard," said Bill Slater, with the Westmoreland Albert Solid Waste Corporation in Moncton.

Slater says the process has led to a big decrease in litter since the program began two years ago.

Copyright © 2005 CBC All Rights Reserved
This story, forwarded to you by pfalvo@chebucto.ca,
appears on http://cbc.ca at the following URL:
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns-hortons-trash20050302
Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca