sust-mar: Real Independent Film Festival (RIFF) in Halifax on March 12 & 13, 14 - Please spread the word!

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:43:22 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Real Independent Film Festival (RIFF)

Four Days of Not-to-Miss Films!

Tuesday, March 8 (Dalhousie - ScotiaBank Auditorium in the FASS/McCain
Building)
Saturday, March 12 (Saint Mary's University - Burke Theatre)
Sunday, March 13 (Saint Mary's University - Burke Theatre)
Monday, March 14 (Dalhousie - Ondaatje Theatre in the FASS/McCain Building)

'Real' reality programming you won't see on TV.
An incredible line-up of films on War, Globalization, Peak Oil, 9/11,
Environment, Food Security, Consumerism, Sustainability, Justice, Money,
Urban Design, Peace, Social Justice, Civil Liberties, Media, Weaponization
of Space, Democracy.

TUESDAY, MARCH 8
Location: Dalhousie University

Vietnam Friendship Village
7:30-9:00 PM
Scotia Bank Auditorium, FASS/McCain Building, 6135 University Ave.
An inspiring, award winning documentary about one US soldier's search to
find true reconciliation and peace after the American War against Vietnam.
$5 donation or pay what you can. No one turned away for lack of funds. All
proceeds to support the Vietnam Friendship Village. Screening held in
recognition of International Women's Day.

SATURDAY, MARCH 12
Location: Burke Building, Saint Mary's University

SESSION 1: 11:00AM-2:00 PM

The Red Pill - 11:00 AM
A scratch video, collage of Hollywood film clips, re-edited, re-mixed, and
re-contextualized to change the way you think about the world, challenging
you to think of new ways of changing the world. 25 min.
www.davidsheen.com/redpill

Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World - 11:30 AM
Revealed, one of the most pervasive, insidious forms of corporate negligence
in the history of the industrial revolution. The toxic long-term effects of
aspartame are often dismissed as a 'hoax'. 90 min.
www.soundandfuryproductions.com

Peaceable Kingdom - 1:00 PM
Explores the life journeys of farm animals, former animal farmers and animal
rescuers struggling against an industrial farming system where the lives of
animals count for very little. Devastating and uplifting. It calls into
question our assumptions toward earth's most vulnerable beings. Yet it
leaves the viewer with hope. 70 min. www.tribeofheart.org
SESSION 2: 2:30 - 5:30 PM

Food on Earth - 2:30 PM
A trip through our global food system, the industrial giants that dominate
it, and the local alternatives that are growing worldwide. Film in progress.
30 min. www.thirdstonefilms.org

Mardi Gras: Made in China - 3:00 PM
Explores the production, consumption, and disposal of Mardi Gras beads.
Filmed on location in Fuzhou, China and New Orleans, Louisiana, it follows
the 'bead trail' from Mardi Gras to where the beads are made. explaining how
the commodity chain is kept in place. 60 min. ww.calleymedia.org

The Great Conspiracy: The 9/11 News Special You Never Saw - 4:00 PM
Updates Barrie Zwicker's critique on 9/11. He looks at the use of fear to
befuddle the public. Deconstructs the "war on terrorism", examines the
failure of the military on 9/11 and George Bush's highly inappropriate
behaviour that day. Finds the 9/11 Commission to be a total cover-up.
Throughout, he analyses the role of the mainstream media as complicit in
keeping the public massively misinformed. 78 min. www.greatconspiracy.ca

SESSION 3: 6:00 - 10:00PM

Arsenal of Hypocrisy: The Space Program and the Military Industrial Complex
- 6:00 PM
Today the Military Industrial Complex is marching towards world dominance
through space technology on behalf of global corporate interest. Understand
how and why the space program will be used to fight all future wars on earth
from space. 60 min. www.arsenalofhypocrisy.com

The OIL Factor: Behind The War on Terror - 7:15 PM
In the wake of Vice-President Dick Cheney's 2001 Energy Task Force, is it a
coincidence if George Bush targeted Iraq in its so called "war-on-terror", a
country known to possess the second largest oil reserves in the world? 90
min. www.theoilfactor.com

We Interrupt This Empire - 9:00 PM
Documents the direct actions that shut down San Francisco following the
latest invasion of Iraq. It looks at the diverse protests and critiques
corporate media's war coverage. Also exposes the Military Industrial
Complex, the attacks on Civil Liberties, and the US's current imperialist
drive. 52 min. www.videoactivism.org

SUNDAY, MARCH 13
Location: Burke Building, Saint Mary's University

SESSION 4: 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Arlington West - 11:00 AM
A "temporary cemetery" in the sand, erected every Sunday by the Veterans For
Peace in Santa Barbara and other locations in Southern California. Over 1500
wooden crosses, placed on the beach, invite the public to honor the
unacknowledged fallen U.S. soldiers and laments the cost of the war.
Interviews, with soldiers and Marines plus interviews with military
families, make up this moving documentary. 60 min.

Holes in Heaven - NOON
H.A.A.R.P. (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) is a
controversial high frequency radio transmitter. Using HAARP, the US military
plans to focus a billion-watt pulsed radio beam into our upper atmosphere.
However, several researchers claim HAARP poses many dangers and warn of
possible disruption of the subtle magnetic energies of our Earth and
ourselves. 51 min. www.haarp.com

Crisis of Faith - 1:00 PM
We have evolved, technologically, so much faster than we have spiritually
that we face a very clear and present danger: either we will spontaneously
destroy each other with weapons capable of the ultimate horror, or we will
continue to die a slow spiritual death, falling deeper into the empty void
of egoism and material idolatry. 50 min. www.4seasonsproductions.com

SESSION 5: 3:00-6:00 PM

Who's Counting? Sex, Lies & Global Economics - 3:00 PM
 "I give the film (and Ms. Waring, of course) every superlative - riveting.
Revealing, inspiring, etc. It penetrates to the heart of the global,
ecological and social crisis that afflicts the world. required viewing for
all who know we are on a destructive path and want to get off" - David
Suzuki. 94 min.

Haiti: Harvest of Hope - 4:45 PM
Originally planned as a documentary about democracy coming to Haiti with the
election of Aristide in 1990. However, as Aristide was later deposed by
another US-sponsored coup in late 1991, much of the film was devoted to
chronicling the brutality and machinations of Haiti's new military leaders
and their supporters, as well as the subsequent return of Aristide to power.
57 min.

Haiti: The Betrayal of Democracy -  5:45 PM
A new film that chronicles the current crisis of the country resulting from
the US and Canadian-backed coup of Aristide and the continuing foreign
occupation. 30 min.

SESSION 6: 6:30 - 10:00 PM

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism - 6:30 PM
Examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been
running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an
in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations
taking control of the public's right to know. 'WOW!' 77 min.
www.outfoxed.org

The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream -
8:00 PM
As we enter the 21st century, serious questions are beginning to emerge
about the sustainability of this way of life. With brutal honesty and a
touch of irony, The End of Suburbia explores the North American Way of Life
and its prospects as the planet approaches a critical era, as global demand
for fossil fuels begins to outstrip supply. World Oil Peak and the
inevitable decline of fossil fuels are upon us now. 90 min.
www.endofsuburbia.com

MONDAY, MARCH 14
Location: Ondaatje Theatre
Dalhousie University

Fog of War
7:30-9:00 PM
Ondaatje Auditorium, FASS/McCain Building, 6135 University Ave., Dalhousie
University
This Oscar winning documentary examines the very human decisions behind some
of the tensest moments in the 20th century, through the eyes of one of the
men who made the decisions, Robert S. McNamara, former US Defense Secretary.
All welcome and free!

Prices:
Full Festival $20
Whole Day $10
One Session/One Film $5
*These prices are rough. Pay more if you can and less if you can't.
*Pay at the door.

*COME FOR ONE FILM, SOME OR FOR ALL*

*Bring your own refreshments. There will be also a bake sale by donation on
the weekend. There are vending machines and on-campus food locations.

Festival Organizers and Supporters:

. Boiling Frog: www.boilingfrog.ca
. Tooker Gomberg Activist Fund: www.greenspiration.org
. Saint Mary's Activist Coalition (SMAC)
. Halifax Peace Coalition (HPC) www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca
. Dalhousie History Department

The Real Independent Film Festival is part of boilingfrog's cross-Canada
EARTHonPEACE tour 2005.

Boiling Frog

There are many factors contributing over time to the heat that give us the
boiling frog effect. The slow, incremental progress of our destruction
condition us to believe that things are not all that bad. Taken in context
over time, and in totality, it becomes clear that we are facing the demise
of not only our human civilizations, but the entire bio-sphere we call
Earth.

Dedicated to the memory and life's work of Tooker Gomberg 1955 - 2004
www.greenspiration.org

For more info, please email HPC: hfxpeace@chebucto.ca
Or visit our website: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca