sust-mar: Ecology Action Updates, Events & Jobs -- Nova Scotia, Canada

From: "Peter Blanchard" <membermail@ecologyaction.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:45:08 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .

Hello,

Below is a complimentary copy of the monthly Ecology Action
Centre e-newsletter, including some great upcoming events,
job postings and more.

To receive the newsletter regularly, please join the EAC!
We want you to be a member -- whether or not you can
participate in other ways. It's is only $30/year or $15 for
students, seniors and unwaged. That's less than 5¢ a day...

Please join today by calling (902) 429-2202 -- or see
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/membership.shtm
for more information.  Thank you for helping create
a greener, healthier, more sustainable Nova Scotia!

Ecology Action Centre -- Monthly E-Newsletter
March 23, 2005, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.ecologyaction.ca

CONTENTS

(1) EAC UPDATES
- New Protected Wilderness Areas
- New Coastal Coordinator
- Reconnect with the Coast
- Coastal Coalition of Nova Scotia
- Coral Conservation Plan

(2) ECO-EVENTS, ACTIVITIES, RESOURCES & CONTACTS
- Tree Lovers Unite! Wed Mar 30, Halifax.
- HRM Active Transportation Workshop, Thurs Mar 30, Halifax.
- Fossil Fools Day, Fri Apr 1, Canada, USA & UK.
- Socially Conscious Small Business, various dates Apr 1 - May 1,
Halifax.
- Earth Day, Fri Apr 22, Worldwide.
- Gearshift: Healthy Fisheries Conference, Apr 29 & 30, Nwfd.
- Dump & Run: Giant Garage Sales for the Environment, various dates.
- EAC Volunteer & Participant Orientation, Wed May 18, 5:30pm,
Halifax.
- EAC Garden Party & Auction, Sun May 29, Halifax.
- World Environment Day, Sun June 5, Worldwide.
- Canadian Environment Week, June 2-8, Canada.
- EAC Annual General Meeting, mid June (t.b.a.), Halifax.
- Rural Issues & Policy Change Workshops - various dates, NS.
- LETS Barter! - Starting a Local Exchange Trading System in Halifax.
- EAC Action Teams & Committees - monthly meetings.

(3) EAC NEEDS & WANTS
- Seeking Used Computers & Laptops
- Seeking Used Paper for our printer & photocopier

(4) JOB POSTINGS
- Urban Gardening Mentors Project Coord., Mar 30 deadline
- Standing Tall Forestry Researcher & Outreach, April 8 deadline
- More Jobs & Other Opportunities at the EAC and beyond

(5) GET INVOLVED WITH THE EAC!
- Join or Renew Your Membership
- Join the Team that Interests You
- Be a Volunteer or Resource Person
- Make a Donation

(1) EAC UPDATES & INITIATIVES

* NEW PROTECTED WILDERNESS AREAS ANNOUNCED
The Ecology Action Centre and the NS Public Lands
Coalition are delighted that Nova Scotia's terrestrial
Protected Areas program is finally moving forward! On
Friday, March 4th at the legislature Premier John Hamm
and Environment Minister Kerry Morash announced the
designation of two important new Protected Wilderness
Areas -- Gully Lake and Eigg Mountain-James River.
Perhaps even more... http://www.publicland.ca/news/050305.html
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/wilderness_issues/wilderness_issues.shtm
http://www.publicland.ca/

* NEW COASTAL COORDINATOR will speak up for
Nova Scotia's Coast! The Coastal Issues Committee is very
pleased to announce the hiring of Sean Weseloh McKeane
as our new Coastal Coordinator. Sean brings experience in
community based conservation and marine management to
the EAC. He will be coordinating the "ReConnecting the
Coast" initiate - our new coastal coampaign intended to
achieve integrated coastal zone management in Nova Scotia.
Sean can be contacted at coastal@ecologyaction.ca  442-0199
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal_issues/coastal_issues.shtm

* RECONNECT WITH THE COAST! The ReConnect the
Coast campaign is all about Nova Scotians increasing links
with the coast. The EAC Coastal Issues Committee is
looking for your connection to that vital border between
land and sea that we call the "coast". We are collecting
stories, poems, anecdotes and songs that celebrate Canada's
Seacoast and explore issues that are important to you.
To share with us give the coastal team a call (442-0199)
or email us at coastal@ecologyaction.ca
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal_issues/coastal_issues.shtm

* COASTAL COALITION OF NOVA SCOTIA
Did you know that the public now owns only 5% of Nova
Scotian coastal lands? This is a scary thought for those of
us who depend on access to our beautiful coastline for work
or recreation. A group of Nova Scotians concerned about
rapid development and loss of access to the coast have
come together to form the CCNS. Join us! We meet
monthly to discuss coastal access, inappropriate dev't,
strategies and solutions. More info: Sean, EAC Coastal
Coordinator coastal@ecologyaction.ca (902) 442-0199
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal_issues/coastal_coalition.htm
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal_issues/coastal_issues.shtm

* CORAL CONSERVATION PLAN for Nova Scotia
The Oceans & Coastal Mgmt. Division of the Canadian
Dep't. of Fisheries & Oceans has just released a draft coral
conservation plan for the Maritimes Region (Scotian Shelf
and Bay of Fundy) as part of a larger integrated
management initiative on the Scotian Shelf. The deadline
for comment is June 15 and a final plan will be released in
late summer. You can obtain a factsheet on the plan
http://www.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/e/essim/pdfs/coral-factsheet.pdf
To get the actual plan in PDF contact Heather Breeze at
breezeh@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca or 902-426-9851
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/marine_issues/marine_issues.shtm

* ARE YOU A MEMBER of the EAC?
Join the movement to create a greener, healthier, more
sustainable Nova Scotia. Please join, renew or donate
today -- for little as 4¢ a day. Call (902) 429-2202
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/membership.shtm
E-mail: membermail@ecologyaction.ca

(2) ECO-EVENTS, ACTIVITIES, RESOURCES & CONTACTS
Nova Scotia, Canada. In order by date.

* TREE LOVERS UNITE! Plant-a-Tree Organizing
Meeting, Wed Mar 30, 4-6pm, Halifax. Please join us as
we plan and organize for greener, leafier communities!
Excitement is building around the EAC's proposed "plant a
tree" fundraiser. Help us plan how to sell and distribute
local, organic, heritage trees in Halifax and possibly other
Nova Scotia locations. Our next meeting is Mar 30 at the
EAC, 1568 Argyle at Blowers, in downtown Halifax, 2nd
floor. Please join us and bring a friend! Can't attend?
More info? Call Maggy Burns at (902) 446-4840
steerclean@ecologyaction.ca  [Trees & Tree-planting links:
http://www.treelink.org/books/simpleact/index.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree
http://directory.google.com/Top/Home/Gardening/Plants/Trees/
http://www.planetfriendly.net/forests.html  ]

* ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION Workshop, Thurs Mar 31, Halifax.
If you have an interest in active transportation (AT) in
HRM, please attend to exchange ideas on this important
subject, present your perspective, concerns and issues and
listen to other experts in the AT profession. This is an
exciting time for residents and visitors who wish to become
more mobile, are looking for options to extend their normal
daily range of activity and move across and throughout
HRM in a more safe and efficient manner. Four Points
Sheraton, Compass Room. More info: conradjo@gov.ns.ca
http://www.gov.ns.ca/ohp/srd/publications/walkingandwheeling200502.pdf
http://www.gov.ns.ca/ohp/srd/pathways/wwq.htm
Topical: http://www.ecologyaction.ca/asrts/
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/transportation_issues/transportation.shtm
http://www.planetfriendly.net/living.html#transport

* FOSSIL FOOLS DAY, Fri Apr 1, Canada, US & UK.
Thousands of people will come together as part of the
Second Annual Fossil Fools Day. Last year, some 130
actions were organized to demand clean and renewable
energy. This year, we hope you can help us reach the goal
of 360 events by organizing a Fossil Fools Day event in
your town or campus. Together we can jumpstart the clean
energy revolution! Suggestions for actions: * Adopt a Ford
Dealership * Expose a Fossil Fool * Start a Green Fleets
Campaign on Campus * Tell Automakers to Innovate not
Litigate. More info: http://www.energyaction.net/
http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/oil/fossilfoolsday.html
Links: http://www.ecologyaction.ca/energy_issues/energy_issues.shtm
http://www.planetfriendly.net/energy.html

* SOCIALLY CONSCIOUS SMALL BUSINESS - Mktg. Workshops, Halifax.
For all those people who are doing good things for the
community yet struggling in their businesses. For local
small businesses who are socially conscious and committed
to making a better world. Learn to attract more clients and
improve cash flow. With innovator and social entrepreneur
Tad Hargrave, chosen as one of thirty leading young
visionaries in N. America by Utne Reader magazine.
Pay what you can, or what you think it's worth. Please
RSVP for free two-hour workshops (Apr 1, 2, 7, 8, 14, 15)
and/or Weekend Workshop: Sat Apr 30 - Sun May 1, 10am-7pm.
At the Yoga Loft, 5663 Cornwallis St., Suite 301, just
off the Halifax Commons. More info: Tad Hargrave,
(902) 735-2869  tad@eastlink.ca
The Yoga Loft http://www.theyogaloft.ca
Tad Hargrave: http://www.yesworld.org/resources/tad.htm
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22tad+hargrave%22
Links & Resources:
http://www.planetfriendly.net/business.html
http://www.planetfriendly.net/business.html#links

* EARTH DAY, Friday April 22, 2005, Worldwide.
"The largest, most celebrated environmental event worldwide.
... More than 6 million Canadians join 500 million people in
over 180 countries in staging events and projects to address
local environmental issues. Nearly every school child in
Canada takes part in an Earth Day activity" -- http://www.earthday.ca/

All about Earth Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_day
http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Holidays/Earth_Day/

* GEARSHIFT: A Call for HEALTHY FISHERIES at Home
and on the High Seas, Fri-Sat April 29th and 30th, 2005.
Location: St. John's and Petty Harbour, Newfoundland.
Join Canadian and International conservationists,
fishermen, policy analysts, and community leaders in
addressing one of the most important issues in the fishery
- how we fish. For decades fishermen and the larger public
have called for reviews of fishing gears, believing that
some methods such as dragging or otter trawling are more
damaging than others, and need to be regulated accordingly.
In some regions of the planet, fishing groups have implemented
successful, healthy fisheries management practices. Panels,
open discussions, keynote speakers, intntl. experts, more. Info:
...on the conference: Julie Huntington at gearshift@nl.rogers.com
...on the issues: Fred Winsor at fwinsor@nfld.com
or Mark Butler at action@ecologyaction.ca
... relevant websites: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fgc-cgp
and http://www.savethehighseas.org
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/marine_issues/marine_issues.shtm
Conference Registration:
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/marine/gearshift.pdf
Fax#: 1-902-422-6410  Tel.: 1-709-690-0401

* DUMP & RUN -- Giant Garage Sales for Community & Environment
Seeking volunteers, donations and participants!
(1) Wolfville NS, Sat May 7, 9am-3pm:
http://axe.acadiau.ca/dumpandrun/
(2) Halifax NS, Sat Apr 30: e-mail cesr@dal.ca or see:
http://societyforcorporateenvironmentalandsocialresponsibility.dsu.dal
.ca/Dumpandrun.htm
(3) Elsewhere: http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22dump+and+run%22
http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Environment/Pollution_Preventi
on_and_Recycling/

* EAC VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION, Wed May 18, 5:30pm, Halifax.
Would you like to volunteer, participate, or be a resource
person for the EAC? Or are you just curious what it's all
about? Whatever your schedule, interests or skills, we could
use your help! Meet others interested in the environment;
develop new skills, contacts and experiences; do important
work that interests you. Come to this orientation to learn
about the EAC and how you can make a difference.
At the Ecology Action Centre, 1568 Argyle St. at Blowers,
3rd floor, downtown Halifax. Can't make it to the orientation?
Call Peter or Emma to discuss the possibilities: (902) 429-2202
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/volunteer.shtm
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/teams.shtm

* EAC GARDEN PARTY & AUCTION - 7th annual, Sun May 29, Halifax.
A fun and popular event in support of the Ecology Action Centre,
Nova Scotia's oldest environmental organization. Help raise
our target of $15,000 and walk away with some great deals!
On the auction block will be a fabulous array of gardening
supplies, plants, landscape design consultations, pottery,
folk art, spa services, weekend getaways and much, much
more. There will also be refreshments, live music and
more. Viewing is at noon. Auction begins at 1pm. Mark your
calendar now! Location: St. Mary's Boat Club, 1641 Fairfield
Road, Halifax. Tickets at door or in advance. More info:
Tel. (902) 429-2202 http://www.ecologyaction.ca

* WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY, Sun June 5, 2005, Worldwide
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22world+environment+day%22

* WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY, June 1-5, 2005, San Francisco
http://www.unep.org/wed/  http://www.wed2005.org/

* CANADIAN ENVIRONMENT WEEK, June 2-8, 2005, Canada.
http://www.ec.gc.ca/eco/eweek_e.htm

* EAC ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, mid June (t.b.a.), Halifax.
The Ecology Action Centre's AGM will be held in mid June.
As usual we will showcase the Centre's activities over the
past year; announce the annual Tarred Duck and Bubby
Mooers awards; and provide entertainment. All members
and interested others are invited to attend this important
event for Nova Scotia's oldest and most active environmental
organization. Stay tuned for details! More info:
Tel. (902) 429-2202  Web: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

~~~ ONGOING / VARIOUS DATES ~~~

* RURAL ISSUES & POLICY CHANGE - How to Make It Happen
Free workshops throughout Nova Scotia for community groups
interested in changing public policies. Presented by the Rural
Communities Impacting Policy (RCIP) Project. More info:
Ishbel Munro, Coastal Communities Network (902) 485-4754;
coastalnet@ns.sympatico.ca  [Topical links & resources:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Home/Rural_Living/
http://www.planetfriendly.net/active.html   ]

* LETS BARTER! - We are starting a Local Exchange
Trading System (LETS) in Halifax! LETS is a thriving
barter network that is socially inclusive, ecologically
sustainable and allows members to meet their basic needs.
It works like this: You offer a service or goods for exchange.
When another member receives those services or goods,
you get a credit that you can use to obtain services or goods
from any other members. It's like bartering stoked up!
More info: LETS Halifax halifaxlets@care2.com (902) 422-2772
[All about LETS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LETS
http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Organizations/Local_Currency_S
ystems/
http://www.google.ca/search?q=LETS+Halifax+barter

~ ECOLOGY ACTION MONTHLY MEETINGS ~

* EAC MONTHLY MEETINGS -- all welcome!
Our most important work is done by people like you, who
decide to participate on an action team or committee. You can
get involved just a little -- or a lot. Call us, drop by the office,
or drop in on a meeting. Most teams meet monthly at the EAC...
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/teams.shtm
* COASTAL ISSUES - last Thursday of each month, 6:30pm
Sean McKeane: (902) 442-0199 / coastal@ecologyaction.ca
* ENERGY - 3rd Tuesday of each month, 5:15pm
Anne Warburton (902) 442-0199 / energy@ecologyaction.ca
* FOOD ACTION - 3rd Monday each month, 5:30pm
Sylvia Mangalam (902) 835-8460 / aw361@chebucto.ns.ca
* MARINE ISSUES - last Wednesday of each month, 5:30pm
Mark Butler (902) 429-2202 / action@ecologyaction.ca
* TRANSPORTATION - 1st Monday of each month, 5:15pm
Rebecca O'Brien (902) 429-0924 / trax@ecologyaction.ca
* URBAN ISSUES - 2nd Thursday of each month, 5:30pm
David Aalders (902) 477-6514 / daalders@ns.sympatico.ca
* WILDERNESS - 3rd Thursday of each month, 6:00pm
Raymond Plourde (902) 429-2202 / wilderness@ecologyaction.ca
or Minga O'Brien (902) 429-1335 / forests@ecologyaction.ca
* MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE - 2nd Tuesday of each month, 5:30pm
Peter Blanchard (902) 429-2202 / membermail@ecologyaction.ca
* MAGAZINE - "BETWEEN THE ISSUES" - call for details
(902) 429-2202 / betweentheissues@ecologyaction.ca
LOCATION: at the EAC, 1568 Argyle St., downtown Halifax
(corner of Blowers, 3rd floor, above the 'Subway').
More info: http://www.ecologyaction.ca/teams.shtm
http://www.ecologyaction.ca   (902) 429-2202

* LATE-BREAKING EVENTS...
Some events are posted too late to be included in this newsletter.
Please check our website or office bulletin board, or join the
team/cttee that interests you (each has its own e-mail list).
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/teams.shtm
http://www.ecologyaction.ca

(3) EAC NEEDS & WANTS

* SEEKING USED COMPUTERS & LAPTOPS -- The EAC
would be very happy to receive working, used computers (pref.
Pentium III or later) or any laptops capable of running Windows
95, 98, Me or XP. If you'd like a tax receipt for your donation,
please let us know. Please call Peter or Carla at (902) 429-2202.

* SEEKING USED PAPER - What's even better than recycling?
Reuse and reduce! We're looking for 8.5 x 11 paper that has
been printed on one side, to use in our printer and photocopier.
Please drop off clean, unwrinkled paper to the EAC (Mon-Fri
 9am-5pm). For larger quantities, we can arrange a pickup.
Please call Carla or Peter at (902) 429-2202. eac@ecologyaction.ca

(4) JOB POSTINGS

* Urban Gardening Mentors Project Coord., Mar 30 deadline
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/news/111142511385692.html

* Standing Tall Forestry Researcher & Outreach, April 8 deadline
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/news/11111942407580.html

* More Jobs & Opportunities at the EAC and beyond
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/jobs.shtm

(5) GET INVOLVED with the EAC!

Please help the EAC continue its work by joining,
participating, or making a donation!

JOIN THE ECOLOGY ACTION CENTRE

Make a difference for Nova Scotia's land, water and
environment! If you're not a member -- or if your membership
has expired -- please join today. We depend on membership
to maintain our strong *independent* voice. Call us to
join or renew by VISA or MasterCard. Or print & mail:
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/docs/memberform.pdf
Questions? Call Peter at the EAC, (902) 429-2202.
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/membership.shtm

JOIN THE TEAM That Interests You

The heart of the EAC is our nine action teams/committees,
comprised of over 150 volunteers and staff. Contact the one
that interests you, or drop in on a meeting to see what's
happening and find out how you could participate. All are
welcome. See the events section above for meeting dates
and contact info., or call Peter at the EAC, (902) 429-2202.
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/teams.shtm
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/volunteer.shtm

VOLUNTEER or be a RESOURCE PERSON

The EAC invites your participation and assistance with our
projects, events and campaigns. Whatever your schedule,
interests or skills, we can use your help! Call (902) 429-2202
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/volunteer.shtm

MAKE A DONATION

Your donations are needed and welcome! Every donation
makes a difference, and tax receipts are available. It's
convenient to donate by phone (VISA or MasterCard),
by mail, in person, or online. Please call (902) 429-2202,
or mail your cheque to the Ecology Action Centre,
1568 Argyle St., Halifax NS B3J 2B3.  Or, donate online
at http://www.ecologyaction.ca/  -- click "donate now",
at left.

OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE

Feel free to call or drop by the EAC at any time
(Mon-Fri., 9am to 5pm or later).

ECOLOGY ACTION CENTRE
...building a healthier, more sustainable Nova Scotia
1568 Argyle St., Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2B3
Phone: (902) 429-2202  Fax: (902) 422-6410
http://www.ecologyaction.ca

ARE YOU A MEMBER OF THE EAC?
We need your support to continue our work! Please
join, renew or donate today. Call (902) 429-2202
http://ecologyaction.ca/membership.shtm
membermail@ecologyaction.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca