sust-mar: Action Alert - Liscomb Game Sanctuary - Logging Ban Sought from DNR

From: "Gail Martin" <gail@bay-of-islands.org>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:02:28 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
BlankGood morning, everyone. As you may know, the deadline for public input
on the NS Natural Resources Review of the Sanctuaries and WMA's in the
province was May 31st. The Minister's announcement on May 5th that the
Sanctuaries and WMA's would not be de-listed simply doesn't go far
enough....

What many people don't realize is that Liscomb is the only Sanctuary in Nova
Scotia where clearcutting continues as we speak.

Following, please find the letter sent to Natural Resources Minister,
Richard Hurlburt by the Bay of Islands Center, requesting an immediate
moratorium on logging in Liscombe Game Sanctuary.

If you are unable to view the letter here, its contents and a growing list
of supporting organizations can be found at:

http://bay-of-islands.org/issues/liscombe-sanctuary.html

You can add your voice to the petition to stop clearcutting on publically
owned land in Nova Scotia's Sanctuaries on the same page.

Pictures of ongoing clearcuts (May 14th) in Liscomb can be found at:

http://bay-of-islands.org/issues/liscombe-sanctuary-050514.html

Thank you for your support! Our future depends on it...

Gail Martin
Bay of Islands Center
www.bay-of-islands.org
------
Honourable Richard Hurlburt
Minister of Natural Resources
1701 Hollis Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 3M8

Re: Liscomb Game Sanctuary:

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your foresight in deciding not to de-list Nova Scotia’s game
sanctuaries - and particularly for your vision in proposing a ‘logging ban’,
an act that would advance the Province towards its goal to protect more of
the Province’s wilderness areas.

We appreciated the opportunity to sit at the table with you and other
concerned groups on May 4th and we look forward to a further meeting in
early June, to discuss the logging ban and to consider equitable options for
Liscomb Game Sanctuary.

Your Department’s review of our Game Sanctuaries and Wildlife Management
Areas has created public awareness of the ongoing clearcutting in Liscomb
and underscored the need to protect its remaining woodlands for the
enjoyment and benefit of the people of Nova Scotia and future generations.

Today, however, as we view the recent photos of the continued clearcutting
in Liscomb Game Sanctuary,
we urge you to impose an immediate moratorium on logging on all of Liscomb’s
publicly owned lands until the status of Liscomb can be determined.

Minister Hurlburt, industrial scale cutting in Liscomb Sanctuary sends a
loud message to all Nova Scotians to protest logging in all the provincial
Sanctuaries. Our request for a moratorium on logging in Liscomb is supported
by individuals and organizations comprised of concerned Nova Scotians from
across the Province and beyond. (list available at www.bay-of-islands.org).

Liscomb is a striking example of what Nova Scotians ‘don’t’ want to happen
in the Sanctuaries and all publicly owned lands.
Economic Development, Education & Training.

Residents in the Liscombe area (Sheet Harbour to Sherbrooke) have been
outraged for years by the strip-mining of the Liscomb forest, yet most felt
powerless to do anything to stop it. This sense of futility in the face of
complex government policies and corporate indifference is most acute in
low-employment areas such as this one, where local forestry contractors do
provide a few much needed jobs.

Ironically, these vital jobs could be replaced and in fact, increased by the
implementation of government supported programs that endorse
community-based, low impact selection cutting on certain designated areas
within publicly owned lands, and local processing.

Furthermore, your department’s initiative in funding and deploying these
programs would enhance the Federal Government’s directive with measures that
support the ‘social economy’ of Nova Scotia.

Minister Hurlburt, Nova Scotia simply has to push ahead in a sustainable
fashion and manage our forests in a way that makes economic sense for the
future of our rural communities.

Furthermore, a ‘Wilderness Area’ designation for the Liscomb Game Sanctuary
would, along with its four small neighbouring Wilderness Areas, define the
potential of future revenue for communities in the region, through
ecotourism, research, education and training and in Liscomb, remedial &
sustainable community-based forestry.

Tourism and Recreation
It appears that in the Province’s haste to utilize a loophole in the 1928
Sanctuary Act (established long before clearcutting existed), it has
forgotten one small but significant statement that would make the
clearcutting on Liscomb’s public lands a mockery -- “ the intent was to
create a game reserve (and)...a Provincial Park where tourists can enjoy
beautiful scenery, fishing, and the greatest hunting of all, camera hunting"
(Nova Scotia Dept. Lands & Forests, 1928)

We do recognize that Liscomb is quite likely the most complex of the
Sanctuaries in terms of land ownership issues and existing logging leases.
Having said that, we also believe that Liscomb holds the greatest potential
to benefit both the public and private sectors through remediation,
education and training programs in low-impact forestry practices, and
ultimately in nature-based tourism revenues.

Your decision to impose a logging moratorium now will allow stakeholders to
meet on a level playing field. Ultimately, this can be a win-win situation
for the Province, the pulp companies, contractors and cutters who work in
the forestry industry and the public at large who value Liscombe Game
Sanctuary as a legacy and as a cherished Wilderness Area.

Your decision to impose a logging moratorium now while the discussion is
still on the table will prevent the any public demonstrations and media
exposure that may follow the May 31st deadline.

We understand from the Premier’s remarks during the announcement for Gully
Lake and Eigg Mountain that the provincial government is interested in doing
a comprehensive identification of new Wilderness Areas across the province.

While we support picking up the pace of creating new Wilderness Areas, a lot
of trees could be cut in the meantime. It is critical that the remaining
forests within Liscomb are off-limits to logging, at least until the process
is complete. In any event, we trust you will ask the Environment Minister
for his help in identifying the Liscomb Game Sanctuary, as a Wilderness
Area.
Minister Hurlburt, your decision to impose a logging moratorium now in the
Sanctuaries will indicate to all Nova Scotians that you acknowledge that
clearcuts are incredibly short-sighted and that you are prepared to lead
your Department and the Province into an ecologically and economically
sustainable future.

We look forward to your response to this most urgent issue.
Gail Martin
Founding Board Member (2001)
Bay of Islands Centre
www.bay-of-islands.org

cc: premier@gov.ns.ca ; morashkg@gov.ns.ca ; macdonr@gov.ns.ca ;
educmin@gov.ns.ca ; econmin@gov.ns.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca