sust-mar: Something for everyone: 2005 Sierra Club Gathering July 16th & 17th

From: "Emily McMillan" <emilym@sierraclub.ca>
To: <emilym@sierraclub.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:45:57 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Please send this to all of your lists! Sorry for cross-postings! Everyone
invited.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi all,
Hope everyone is enjoying the summer so far. Going to another meeting may be
the last thing on your mind, but I want to tell you about one that you
should not miss! Actually, it isn't even a meeting, it is really a
gathering - we will talk and laugh and dance in the beautiful setting of the
forest at Windhorse Farm. Doesn't that sound good?

I know a lot of you are already planning to come along, so, please register
so that we make sure we have enough of the yummy, local, organic food ready
for you when you arrive and bring all of your friends. You don't have to be
a member of Sierra to attend, we welcome everyone - even kids!

Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter (SCC-ACC) Annual Gathering!
Saturday, July 16th to Sunday, July 17th at Windhorse Farm, near
Bridgewater, NS (starting
at 9:30am on Saturday and finishing at 3:30pm on Sunday).

Check it all out and REGISTER at www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic Full Agenda
Below

Join friends and colleagues from across Atlantic Canada for this gathering
at beautiful Windhorse Farm, a 144 acre farm and woodlot that has been
managed for 160 years by sustainable logging methods. Our gathering will be
filled with interactive workshops with lots of time for discussion and
action planning surrounded by vibrant organic gardens, horses, and beautiful
Acadian forest.

On Saturday night, we will carpool down the shore to White Point Beach
Resort, where representatives from Sierra Club across Canada and the US have
been having a weeklong meeting. We will join them for a wonderful meal and
hear what Sierra Club has been up to lately! No extra charge!

Silent Auction - make sure you bring some cash as we will be auctioning
great prizes to help us offset the cost of the event.

Accommodation
A large field will be available for tenting (for a small fee); as well there
will be a limited number of cabins (for a slightly higher fee) though you
should bring your own bedding. If that is too rustic for you, let us know
and we can give you a list of local motels and B and B's. The Yurt is back
again this year too for anyone who doesn't mind sharing sleeping space.

Meals
Our wonderful chef Alex Cole is back again for delicious meals of organic
and locally grown food. For Saturday night dinner, we will give Alex a break
and join the International Sierra Club dinner at White Point Beach Resort.
All included in your registration fee!

Childcare
This is a family event! Complimentary childcare will be provided during
scheduled events (please pre-register) and we will not charge a registration
fee for children under 12.

Fees:
Whole weekend $45
One day $25
Saturday lunch only $15

Register Early: www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic/

Agenda
Saturday
9am Early Registration

9:30-10:30 Forest Walk: Tour 160 years of low-impact forestry with Jim
Drescher, Director of The Maritime Ecoforestry School and the caretaker and
forester for Windhorse Farm
11 - 12 Garden Walk: Learn principles of organic gardening with Margaret
Drescher

12-1pm Lunch made by Alex Cole
1-1:30 Late Registration/Break

1:30-2:30 Welcome from SCC-ACC
Keynote Speaker: Ron Colman, founder and Executive Director of GPI Atlantic

2:30-4:30 Workshops:
Coastal Issues
Join the Nova Scotia Coastal Coalition for discussion and action planning,
with special guest speakers including Janice Harvey, Marine Conservation
Director with CCNB.

Phasing out Pesticides
Discuss how we can move our society away from using pesticides with Janet
Eaton, Chair of the SCC Mud Creek Group and guest speakers Patty Donovan,
Founder of the Campaign for Pesticide Reduction and Marion Coppleston,
EcoPEI.

Forest Sustainability and Protected Areas
A lively discussion of forest campaigns in the Atlantic Region, with Ray
Plourde and Minga O'Brien of the Ecology Action Centre and the NS Public
Lands Coalition, David Coon of Conservation Council of NB and NB Crown Lands
Network, and Jason Bull, Sierra Club of Canada Newfoundland Forest
campaigner.

4:30-5:30 Break/Travel to White Point Beach Resort (45 minutes travel time)
5:30-7 Cocktails & Dinner at White Point Beach Resort with International
Sierra Club Folks

6:30-7 Special note from Elizabeth May, Executive Director of Sierra Club of
Canada.
Sierra Club of Canada Awards Ceremony
7-8:30 Sierra Club of Canada Annual General Meeting
8:30-10:30pm Music and Dancing !

Travel back to Windhorse Farm.

Sunday
7-8am Birding Forest Walk - for the early birds with Minga O'Brien
8-9 Breakfast

9-11:30 Workshops:
Media Training - learn from media darling Elizabeth May how to get coverage
on your story!

Environmental Assessment - learn the complexities of environmental
assessment with Lisa Mitchell, and case studies on the Sydney Tarponds, Metz
Hog Farms, and the Digby Neck Mega-quarry.

Environmental Education - join Myriam Hammami, SCC-ACC's new Education
Coordinator, for a workshop about learning with your senses, connecting with
the natural world around you through discussion and hands on activities.

11:30-12:30 Lunch

12:30-2 Panel Discussion - Learn about some of the issues that Sierra Club
of Canada Atlantic Canada Chapter is working on: LNG, Sydney Tarponds,
Factory Farms, GMOs. There will be lots of time for questions and
discussion.

2-2:30 Chapter strategic planning session - we would like YOUR input into
future direction for our chapter.

2:30-3:30 Strategy session. Ever wish there was more time just to talk about
how to move forward on issues of interest? Well, we have at least an hour
and everyone is welcome to stay as long as they like!

3:30 Snack and good byes (if you are ready to leave!)

Emily McMillan
Director, Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter
1657 Barrington St., Suite 507
Halifax, NS, B3J 2A1
emilym@sierraclub.ca
Phone: 902-444-3113
Fax: 902-444-3116
www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic
One Earth...One Chance
Become a member today - Online! Visit:
https://www.sierraclub.ca/national/getinvolved/join.php

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca