sust-mar: HANS Herbal Fair- July 23 & 24th

From: "Jennifer Melanson" <juniper@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:03:10 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
The Herbalist Association of Nova Scotia presents

HERBAL FAIR & AGM 2005

July 23rd and 24th

Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
See http://herbalns.org/ for more detailed information and a
registration form.

Registration Fees
For non-HANS members
SATURDAY ONLY  	$40.00
(includes 2 workshops, lunch and dinner)
SUNDAY ONLY		$40.00
(includes 2 workshops, breakfast and lunch)
BOTH DAYS 		$100.00
(includes 4 workshops, meals & over night
            camping accommodations on Saturday night)

For current 2004-05 HANS members
SATURDAY		$25.00
(includes 2 workshops, lunch and dinner)
SUNDAY		          $25.00
(includes 2 workshops, breakfast and lunch)
BOTH DAYS		$70.00
(includes 4 workshops, meals & over night camping accommodations on
Saturday night)

LOCATION
Dorje Denma Ling - Buddhist Centre
2280 Balmoral Road in Tatamagouche

For directions see http://www.dorjedenmaling.com/how_to_get_here.html

Most activities take place outside in the open or in open air tents
so come prepared for the weather.

MEALS
Saturday meals of lunch and dinner and Sunday meals of breakfast and
lunch are included in the registration fee. All meals are vegetarian.
Some herbal teas will be provided. Please bring your travel mug.

ACCOMODATIONS
For those who register for both days - the Saturday and Sunday meals
noted above are included as well as very comfortable camping
accommodations. Platforms, tents, and hammocks are set up and
provided for those who stay over. Bring your own sleeping bag and
pillow.

Shared washroom facilities are provided. Bring your own towel and
toiletries if staying overnight.

CLOSING CIRCLE and GIVEAWAY on SUNDAY
There will be a giveaway at the Closing Circle - please bring
something herbal with you to share.

REGISTRATION
Everyone who wishes to attend must register. Pre-registration is
highly recommended as space is limited.

PROGRAMME - SATURDAY 23rd
8:30am Registration Desk Opens
9am - 11am HANS Annual General Meeting
- open to HANS members and observers, please register in advance
11am Community Marketplace Opens
Silent Auction Starts
11:30am Welcome Circle
noon - 1pm Lunch
1:30 - 3pm Workshop Series One
3:30 - 5pm Workshop Series Two
6pm Marketplace and Silent Auction closes
6:30pm Dinner and Silent Auction results announced
Evening Campfire, Music and Storytelling

PROGRAMME - SUNDAY 24th
8:30am Registration Desk Opens
8:30 - 9:30am Breakfast
9am Community Marketplace Opens
9:30 - 11:00am Workshop Series Three
11:15 - 12:45pm Workshop Series Four
12:30 - 1:30pm Lunch
1:30pm Closing Circle
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
SATURDAY JULY 23rd

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
SATURDAY JULY 23rd
SERIES I       Starting at 1:30 - 3pm

Lavender
Making Lip Balms & Ointments
Regulation of NHP's:
Domestic & International Concerns

SERIES II       Starting at 3:30 - 5pm
Herbal Wine & Beer Making
Wild Weed Walk
Herbal Garden Design

SUNDAY JULY 24th

SERIES III       Starting at 9:30am - 11am

Tree Medicine Walk
Fertility
At Risk Medicinal Plants

SERIES IV       Starting at 11:15am - 12:45am
Woodland Plant Walk
Herbal Vinegars and other Delights
Herbal Skin Care

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTIONS
Lavender
The historical and contemporary uses of lavender herbs encourages us
to bring this "Swiss-Army-Knife" of herbs back into our daily
lifestyles. How to make practical use of lavender from your garden as
a culinary herb and a healing source for skin & body care.

Herbs and Fertility
Deepen your connection to your own fertility. Herbal medicine and
other natural treatments can be used to optimize your ability to
conceive, and to blossom into a healthy pregnancy. Solutions to
common medical obstacles to pregnancy achievement will be discussed.

Making Herbal Vinegars
This is an opportunity to make some herbal vinegars that can be used
for medicinal and culinary purposes. Learn about some local plants
that make delicious and healthy herbal vinegar tonics.

Making Your Own Luscious Lip Balm
You will learn step-by-step how to make a lip balm using herbally
infused oils that you can make at home. We will also discuss the
making of salves and ointments using a variety of beneficial herbs.

Making Wine and Beer at Home
Learn the basics of making wine and beer economically at home. Norman
will share information about how to avoid the problems and pitfalls
and offer some tried and true recipes. Herbal wines will be
discussed.

Tree Medicine Walk
Let's take a walk through the woods enjoying the smells, sounds,
sights and sensations. This walk will be about connecting our senses
to the forest while we identify and learn about some of the Native
Trees in the area.

Wild Weed Walk
This is an opportunity to meet the medicinal plants that grow wild in
this area. We will look closely, breathe deeply, taste, touch, smell,
and talk about the local plants and their many uses as food and
medicine. And we will definitely sing a song to honour the plants and
their gifts to us!

Woodland Weeds
Come with Jeanette to visit some of your woodland plant and tree
friends. There, you will learn the plant names and their medicinal
properties. We will also discuss the practice of ethical and mindful
wild-crafting.

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca