sust-mar: Peace Day Events August 6-9, Save Our Seas with the EAC & Greenpeace Aug. 11-13, and Make Poverty History August 20 - Please circulate

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:19:22 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Three important events on peace, on our fish & oceans, and ending poverty to
support:

(1)
60th Anniversary of the Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Year of
Remembrance and International Days of Action for a Nuclear Weapons Free
World

Peace Day
Saturday, August 6
2:00-4:00 PM
World Peace Pavilion
Dartmouth Waterfront Park (near Alderney Landing) A family event.  Music,
paper crane folding, peace flag making HRM Peace Day will be officially
proclaimed by Councillor Gloria McCluskey.  Cookies provided.
In case of rain, event will be help in Alderney Landing.

Three Films for Peace
Monday August 8
7:00-9:00 PM
Room 224, Student Union Building,
6136 University Ave., Dalhousie Un.
7:00-  If You Love This Planet-- An Oscar Award winning classic National
Film Board documentary
8:00-  No More Hiroshima-- Film by Martin Duckworth
9:00-  Mayors for Peace--  Film by Physicians for Global Survival

Peace Vigil
Tuesday, August 9
5:00- 5:30 PM
Spring Garden Road Library - front lawn
5381 Spring Garden Road
A vigil to reflect on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, to observe a
moment of silence to remember all the innocent civilians killed in war and
to call for a nucler weapons free world. (Note: Nagasaki was bombed on
August 9, 3 days after Hiroshima.)

For more information visit the HPC web site: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca or
email: hfxpeace@chebucto.ca

For information on the Mayors for Peace Campaign visit the Physicians for
Global Survival web site:
www.pgs.ca

(2)
THE MV Esperanza will be in Halifax Harbour on August 11-13 for the "Save
our Seas"/"No to Deep Sea Trawling". There will be boat tours and a public
lecture taking place, please contact Sadie for more details as they are
finalized and check out the web site below. Our oceans and are fish stocks
are in decline! We have to do something!

Meet the Captain and crew
Friday, August 12
10:00am-2:00pm

Meet the Captain and crew
Saturday, August 13
3:00pm-7:00pm
Maritime Museum Wharf, Halifax, NS

Sadie Beaton
Sustainable Seafood Co-ordinator
At the Ecology Action Centre
www.ecologyaction.ca/seafood.htm

(3)
Join Oxfam as they host a Day for the Family to Make Poverty History on
Saturday, August 20th from 10-3.
Take part in a variety of interesting activities while learning how we can
all work together to Make Poverty History!

Enjoy free treats and the entertainment of story-teller Terry Tales
International at 11:00 and 1:30, then play a little soccer or challenge the
family to a game of Basketball Trade Toss!
Have your face painted, then do some painting, write to your new pen pal in
Africa, build your own shelter and much more all the while learning about
why poverty exists and what we can do about it.

At 2:30, come out and wear white to show your support for the Make Poverty
History Campaign because Halifax will "Wrap the Commons" in the largest
human white band Halifax has ever seen!

Come one, come all! Find us at the Halifax Commons, next to the Pavilion on
Cogswell Street.
Activities run from 10 am - 3 pm so drop by for an hour or so with the whole
family.

For more information, please
contact Lindsay Stidwill at (902) 425-7877 or via email at
halifaxvolunteers@oxfam.ca

Rain Date: Sunday August 21st from 10-3

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca