The teaching method has been proven very adaptable to students
particularly those who are adults, encouraging learning in a fun
interactive, relaxed learning environment, and employing a total emersion
Master Gu instructing Yau-Sun Tong in the early years.
Master Tong believes in maintaining a very small
comfortable close-knit class with a very low student to
master ratio allowing for an extremely high degree of individual
Master Tong instructing a student.
Concentrating on theory to allow the students to conduct
themselves, particularly theory based on
Grandmaster Gu LiuXin's, the famous taijiquan (TaiChi) practitioner and theorist. Master Gu's
book "Chen-style Taijiquan" was first published by Peoples Physical
Education Publishing House in 1963 (Chinese only). This classical work,
the most authoritative and distinguished of its type, went on to sell hundreds of
thousands of copies resulting in it being reprinted numerous times since,
in large volumes.
Proven to be the most welcome, unique Taijiquan (TaiChi) theory workshops
of its type that enables one to elevate their practise to a new higher
level is based on Master Gu's teaching and is given periodically by
The theory workshop concentrates on the following 8 unique characteristic
features of Chen-style Taijiquan (TaiChi):
- Conscious movements under command of the brain (Yi).
- The springy movements by lengthening the different parts of the
- The forward and backward diametrically opposed spiraling
- The substantial and insubstantial movements under the requirements
of an upright straight torso and the complete co-ordination of all body parts.
- The chain actions led by the waist and the full synchronization of
- Uninterrupted, smooth and magnificent Yangtze River water-like
- The processing of softness to hardness and hardness to softness and
the correct combination.
- From slower to quicker and to slower, the different speeds of
practicing in the different learning stages. The different speed of
movements in Chen-style taijiquan (TaiChi).
Yau-Sun Tong with Master Feng Zhi-Qiang in the
Temple of Heaven
after morning practice... not far from where Master Feng
conducts his morning class.