Return to Outline
NAME - Mailing List Administration
CSuite uses a series of shell scripts to create an interface through which the
administration of mailing lists (creation and updating/modification) is handled. The
creation of mailing lists is usually controlled by a (volunteer) mailing list
administrator. The shell scripts provide, on a temporary basis, the necessary
system/file privileges to permit the actual creation of files in restricted system areas.
Users request a new mailing list by using the browser to complete an on-line
As distributed, CSuite is configured to reject forms that are not submitted
by a user who is logged in to the community network. As a result a visitor accessing a
community network site from the WWW is not permitted to submit a request.
The user is asked for:
- + the list sponsor - (Private or Information Provider)
- + who will be responsible for administering the list (the list owner)
- + the proposed name of the list
- + a short description
- This appears when someone requests the listing of mailing lists maintained
at the site by the mailing list server (majordomo)
- + a temporary password
- + whether the list is to be moderated
- + whether the list will be open or close
- ...and if closed - a reason why a closed list has been requested
- + whether the list will be public or private
- ...and if private - a reason why a private list has been requested
- + a long description of the list
- This will be transmitted to new subscribers. Users are offered a link to
examples of this info.
Users are able to use html links to access additional information about
the terminology and the information required for each selection.
After processing the request, the proposed owner of the mailing list is sent a
mail message confirming receipt of the request.
If an Information Provider request is received from anyone other than the IP
'Webmaster', mail is also sent to this individuals requesting
approval/confirmation of the request.
Creating a Mailing List
Requests for mailing lists are stored on the system in a /spool directory and
the mailing list administrator is notified by e-mail of the request.
The mailing list administrator uses a html/cgi form interface to select
requests for processing.
The mailing list administrator is presented with the information provided by
the user and is able to edit/revise this information as appropriate. Typically
this might involve an ammendment to the list name if, (...as an example) the
site has a policy of lower case letters separated by '-'s and the user
submitted a request for a list named "My List" which would become "my-name".
The mailing list administrator is able to:
- request clairification or additional information,
- or decline approval of the request.
The mailing list administrator can if desired offer comments which are
returned by email to the proposed list owner along with notification of the
action taken. (I usually say "_good_luck"...;-)
Updating a Mailing List
***This is a new function, the script is currently (July 1996) being revised/tested***
The creation of mailing lists involves three shell scripts:
Mailing list updates are handled by:
Documentation relating to mailing lists is available: