Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:16:47 -0400
From: Kevin Alexander James Nugent
To: board-minutes

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects

Metro Community Access Network Society
Board of Directors Meeting
February 21, 1995

Attending: Joan BH, David M., Peter H., David Tr., Laura J., Bernie H.,
Renee D., Kevin N., 

Todd B. Gave the board a briefing on the upcoming Wide Area Network Call
For Proposals.  The present call will define the longterm business 
relations the gov't will have with providers.  It will serve to ID those
who are qualified to be a service provider.

The immediate needs will be:
- 1 stops,
- e-mail, 
- lan to lan connectivity.
The RFP will go out March the first and be closed on May the 1st.

David M. suggested that  the freenet is a great way to get the community
onside in this venture.  Vendors must be taught that freenets facilitate 
growth.  Todd seems to agree with this.

It was decided that the freenet should send someone to the next WAN meeting.

David Tr. suggested that the government get freenet people to take part in
the independant review process.

After Todd B. left priorities were set for the rest of the meeting's 

We must make sure our request for this year's funding is in the right hands.

Bernie suggested calling a federation meeting to reply to Tony L's paper.
Halifax will be suggested as a meeting place.

The rest of the discussion will be on Cable PATs, Future meetings, and 
the "launch".

The meeting went in Camera after a motion by Peter Henry, seconded by
Renee Davis.  No dissenting votes were cast.  Motion Carried.

The in camera session lasted about 10 minutes.

Cable PAT's:  There was discussion on how we move this issue along.  The 
problem seems to belong to one of Cable's suppliers.  Dan M. wants to know
when we decide to launch the system.

The task list was reviewed and updated.
ALL will review and respond to the JM post on the communications plan.
ALL will vote online on the issued discussed in-camera.
ALL will meet with Lorne Ferguson. (date?)
David Tr. will draft a proposal for the WAN people.
BH will call Lorne F.
JBH will call Mike Chisolm.

Next week we will discuss the launch and commercial content.
A meeting will be held with the fundraiser on the 7th of March.  We will
get his full report on the 21st of March.

Board will meet on the 14th.
Fundraising report will be recieved on the 21st.
Launch issues will be discussed on the 28th.

BH and DM will call the provincial meeting and tell Tony L that a response
is forthcoming.

Peter H offered  to host the next meeting at his home at 7pm.

Kevin Alexander James Nugent, aa006@chebucto.ns.ca
Board member, Metro [Halifax] Community Access Network Society.
Board member, Telecommunaute's Canada/Telecommunities Canada.
"Chebucto Free-Net, a new kind of community."

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects