March 07, 1995

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 16:57:06 -0300
From: Kevin Alexander James Nugent
To: board-minutes

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects

Metro Community Access Network Society
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday March 7, 1995

Attending: David M., David Tr., Renee D., Hugh W., Peter H., Joan B-H.,
Kevin N.

Ross P., the fundraiser picked after the proposals were reviewed, presented
his plan to date for the society's fundraising strategy.
Suggestions included forming a team of longterm fundraisers for the
society; Connecting the volunteer task to the job and (personal) networking
experience that can be gained; Making it as easy as possible to make a
donation to the society; An annual event, such as a party/dinner should be
seriously considered; A donor recognition structure should be created so
that we know what to tell potential donors when they ask what they will get
in return; 

The final word on our side was that we want him to come up with as many
suggestions as  he wants.  We will decide afterward how important or
acceptable they are.

He was given contact names for various industries to contact as a starting

He suggested that we investigate what programs, foundations etc. are
available as possible sources of perrenial funding.

LAUNCH: (Chebucto Week) Renee has spoken with the people at the
community college and David Tr. has secured some room at the Killam
library for the training session.  Volunteers have been lined up to help out. 
It will likely be on a Tuesday or Thursday.

NSTN and the cable people have been contacted and invited and the other
sponsors will be contacted.

There was a discussion on whether some graphs/stats on the growth of the
system should be on display.  A sideroom will be available for a slideshow
or video.

A notice will be sent to the users and members soon.
Hugh Wright suggested that the IPs be asked to come and set up static
displays for the people to view. 

Some PR will need to be done during that week.  CBC radio, the
newspapers, and local TV stations will be approached about providing

The Information rights people will be kept informed.
The Essay/testimonials should be put online, one per week, in the period
leading up to the event.  Peter Henry says he will look after this.

MEETINGS WITH GOVERNMENT: David Tr. is still trying to set them
up.  Hopefully they will happen in the next week.

The board decided that we will respond quickly to the Draft discussion 
paper.  Tony L. will be asked if we should use MetroCAN or the 
Federation to respond.  Joan Brown Hicks will ask Bernie Hart if he agrees to a 
MetroCAN reply.

Next meeting will be at Joan BH's home at 7:00

There was a motion by Hugh W., seconded by David M., to approve the
minutes of the last two board meetings.  No dissenting votes were cast.  The
motion was passed.  Kevin N. will get a budget report from David To. for
the next meeting.

Kevin Alexander James Nugent,
Board member, Metro [Halifax] Community Access Network Society.
Board member, Telecommunaute's Canada/Telecommunities Canada.
Chebucto Community Net running Chebucto Suite.

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects