Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 01:30:19 -0400
From: Kevin Alexander James Nugent
To: public archive of board minutes

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects

Metro Community Access Network Society
Board of Directors meeting
September 12, 1995

Attending: Kevin N., Joan M., Gary F., David Towers,
Carlos F., David Trueman, Renee D., Peter H., Joan B-H.,
Hugh W., Bernie H.

CONTRACT:  The decision process is starting to narrow its
focus to a few possibilities.  The decision will have to
be made very soon.  (Perhaps by late September.)  The
discussion will continue electronically.  Joan Mac
suggests that we should start getting input from our
members on the domain name change.  

ACTION: She will draft a call for votes on this subject.

NOMINATIONS: Peter Henry reports that most of the names
he has received are unknown to him.  He requests some
feedback on this.  

ACTION: Three possibles are to be contacted for further

FINANCIAL:  David To. reports that we are on track.  We
will be short by December unless we halt on PAT's and

MOVED: By Joan Mac. to commit to office support staff
until the end of the year.  SECONDED by Peter Henry. 
Motion passed.

MOVED: By Joan Mac. that the board continue leaving
personnel decisions to the management advisory committee. 
SECONDED by Carlos F.  Motion passed.

CODE OF ETHICS:  For those involved in CCN activities. 
Considering that what we do is by and for the community. 
David Tr. distributed a statement by the YMCA describing
the type of thing he would like to see us draft and

ACTION:  David Trueman will do a first draft and submit
it for comment.

David also wants a comparison between C'nets and  ISP's
put to paper to allow us to explain more clearly why we
can and should live together.  This could be the first
step toward developing a policy on commercialism. We
should have an answer for demands to offer more services
on a pay basis.  The discussion will continue online.

ensued on this point.  Suggestions included modelling
what we decide on what libraries do to support small

Facts:  1- What our present contract states is what we
MUST do.

2 - We must make a firm decision soon.  For our own
philosophy as well as for contract purposes.  It was
decided that a membership forum will be scheduled and a
framework created by which we can discuss philosophy.

ACTION: Joan Mac. suggested that we start a members
listserv on this.  This will be done on the following

Board discussion online - 2 weeks.
Membership listserv discussion  - 3 weeks.
Membership forum - End of October.

ACTION: A moderated listserv will be created after some
board discussion on commercialism/philosophy.

NSFCN:  Bernie updated us on who will attend and what
will be discussed.

MOVED: By Kevin Nugent that the board authorize David
Towers to write a check to NSFCN, "ATTENTION: Paul
Armstrong" giving the federation funds back to the
federation.  SECONDED by David Trueman.  Motion passed.

The fundraising and membership committees agreed to hold
a joint meeting.  

Joan B-H wants a technically oriented speaker to present
with her at the Canadian Association of Neighbourhood

Next meeting will be the 26th of September at David
Trueman's home.

Kevin Alexander James Nugent,
"All truth progresses through three stages:
- First it is ridiculed...
- then it is violently opposed...
- finally, it is accepted as self evident."
                                     -- Arthur Schopenhauer

next message in archive
no next message in thread
previous message in archive
Index of Subjects