June 11, 1997June 25, 1997
CSuite Workshop Index
Bugs continue to be swatted, as we near completion of 1.0 Beta 2
Andrew will prepare a prioritized list of documents that
need revision and update.
James will prioritize the Bug List and finalize it with David Trueman.
Generally bugs first, robustness second but not forgotten.
Andrew will collect and prioritize a list of CCN Issues.
Input from the affected committees will be needed.
Where documentation can be expected to change soon, or is not yet ready
in both languages, we will put in links to documents at Chebucto, rather
than include incomplete or out-of-date documents in the distribution.
New plans for CCN upgrade
We plan to have the upgrade as the main topic for next meeting.
- Ultra-Sparc server for www.chebucto.ns.ca
- Running CSuite 1.0 / Solaris
- The easiest part of the load to shift :-)
- Then move mail
- Fund-raise for next phase
- New modems and additional disk space
- Run two servers in "parallel"
- Allow dial-in to some users
- Shared files between old and new systems
- Test CSuite 1.0 Solaris under active load
- Migrate some more modems and some disks to new server
- Temporarily, to allow software upgrade to old host
- Performance will be reduced while old host is off-line
- Upgrade old host to Solaris, CSuite 1.0
- Probably a couple of days
- Some testing will be needed
- Split load between two systems
- Load balancing will be a fine art :-)
- Final configuration will depend on performance
David Murdoch reported on a number of issues which will have an impact
over the summer.
- A new CSuite site will be established at Truro. This will be
as a test site, and the strategy is that they will learn about CSuite by
installing and configuring it, with our help. They will probably run
through the set-up process twice, to get their volunteers up to speed and
to provide us some feedback.
- We are again participating in the Wired Nova Scotia (WINS)
project which is being run by the University College of Cape Breton.
Brian and Phil will participate in this as student workers over the
- Additional student(s) are being sought to work with the CCN office
This will build some experience, and provide documentation for the office
functions, including Blaine's tasks.
- We are exploring the possibility of a partnership to produce the CCN
The Manual needs to be restored to accessibility on CCN, and we need to
explore better mastering methods.
- Since we will not likely be able to bring the processing for Disk
Subscription on stream before the upgrade, we are considering linking
additional quota as an additional "Supporting Membership" benefit.
This is an important fund-raising opportunity.
June 11, 1997June 25, 1997