January 13, 1997January 27, 1997
Prior Data Sciences, through Chris
Maxwell, has donated several pieces of equipment to CCN.
Our Thanks to Prior for these items which will speed
the development of our new server system and the CSuite
- a 16-port terminal server,
- a digi-board, for testing dial-ins, and
- a 1522 SCSI card for the development test machine
The board has appointed a Volunteer Committee, with
responsibility to determine CCN's volunteer needs and to direct
volunteers to appropriate teams.
The Technical/Development Team needs to report its needs
to that committee, through our Team Leader (D Trueman). Please
bring suggestions to David's attention, or to the next meeting.
It has been repeatedly noted that our CSuite scripts tend to be very
weak in documentation. While we do not want to see trivial
annotations, it would be useful to describe interactions with
other scripts and databases, and the purpose and logic of sections
of the code, and to explain parts which might be either standard
CSuite usage or particularly abstruse or elegant.
Of course, the annotations should conform to the requirements of
the source browser, as described in previous Workshop Notes, so
that it can pick out essential notes.
Here's the Challenge
Take a script, analyze it, and add commentary to it. Bring the
script for discussion to our meeting.
- Solaris upgrade for new server was done on Monday, ready for test
- Procedure to install: Set CVS Root to 1.1, makedist, install from
- Apache problems
- try new rewrite rules to improve selection of English/French pages
- fix 1.1 distribution
- evaluate and ensure security
- cgi-wrap the phtml thread
- Mail issues - for migration
- how does Pine find mailbox path?
- qpopper paths
- mailer paths
- tq - need data on performance
- analyze last
- analyze /ccn/tq/stats
- compare /tmp/who.out
- CCN performance
- Assess use of MHonarc for mailing list archives ->
- dirs - improve creation of installable directories list
(incremental change by appending new immediately, weekly rebuild
instead of hourly will delete old) -> D Trueman
- dead account deletion -> D Trueman
- in progress in catchup mode
- full account data is archived
- re-installation would not be automated at this time
- Eventually the script will be set up as a cron job to select all
accounts that are over 60 days past final warning.
- password updating job (warning in password change script;
disable noon, 5-11 pm) -> D J Murdoch
- Identification of other performance issues -> All
- Quota changes
- Revenue generator
- Tied to membership category
- Message will be sent to all users
- Additional quota still available for IP editors and other
volunteers as needed, on request to team leader.
- Password processing
- Password processing is a problem with large numbers of accounts.
- Solaris is worse than SunOS
- Linux may also have a problem, although we expect it to be used
primarily for smaller sites.
- Consider using Berkeley password database (Trent)
- Any alternatives
- CCN system backups have not proven to be reliable
- Need to evaluate alternative strategies
- We do NOT promise to be able to recover files
- New Beta-Lynx is needed on CCN with latest fixes (except
SunOS specific problems) -> C Maxwell
January 13, 1997January 27, 1997