Chebucto Community Net: A Statistical Snapshot
Here are a few facts that give (as of the spring of 1997) a quick
statistical 'snapshot' of the activity of the Chebucto Community Net.
- Almost 200 Information Provider organizations are now up and running
on the CCN
- We receive almost 4 million document accesses (URL 'hits') per month
(only 4% of WWW sites get more than 1 million per month).
- 80% of accesses are from off-site.
- About 40% are from Nova Scotia; 60% are from elsewhere.
- On a daily basis we get requests from over 11,000 other WWW servers.
- We have approximately 1 billion characters of publicly accessible
- We have 72 dial-in phone lines.
- We log about 3,500 dialup sessions per day averaging 23 minutes.
- We log about 1,500 telnet logins per day averaging 14 minutes.
- We have over 6,600 active users.
- We process about 20,000 Email messages per day.
- We have received about 20,000 registrations of which 12,000 have been
- About 99% of active users are Canadian.
- About 96% of active users are from Nova Scotia.
- About 74% are from the Halifax Regional Municipality.
- Currently about 10 people per week attend users training sessions.
- Over 400 people have been trained in advanced WWW publishing as
- More than 200 volunteers have received training and job skills
- There are library-sponsored terminals in most Halifax library
- There are two ISDN-connected terminals at the Discovery Centre.
- There are 6 dialup Public Access Terminals in locations like Spencer
- Prince Arthur and Admiral Westphal Schools now have cable connections.
- CSuite software now runs at 12-20 sites and is poised for broad
- We have officially released CSuite 1.0 in 1997 and have continued to
further develop it.
- The CCN and its Information Providers have been the recipients of over
twenty international Awards in recognition of
the excellence of their sites, their service and the dedication of their
contributers and volunteers.