Volunteering - WebCorps
Volunteering >> WebCorps
Serving Your Community's Online Needs Since 1994.
In an effort to assist existing organizations renovate / update their websites, Chebucto Community Net (CCN) has created the WebCorps initiative.
WebCorps' initial focus is on the needs of our existing groups, many of whom have static / outdated information on their sites for various reasons. The first thrust is for renovation. Serving the needs of new organizations will likely not be a high demand area, as they in all likelihood have put considerable thought (and perhaps money) into developing their site prior to publication online.
These organizations which currently reside on CCN will soon be asked to renew their agreements with us, as CCN has moved to track our organizations and ask for yearly fees - the funds which help us to maintain the equipment and provide a webspace for anyone in the Chebucto community. Note that CCN remains committed to access, and those who can't pay won't have to. But CCN does need a sustainable revenue stream [See our Services page, linked off the homepage, for more information on fees].
The WebCorps service will be fee-based. Before we talk about the amount, let's talk about what WebCorps will deliver:
- the programme is not intended to provide a full-blown webpage development service full of Java, Flash, etc.
- the idea is to renovate in a rapid and efficient fashion the information which an organization has published online.
- one way to do this is to use a pre-designed template into which WebCorps volunteers could copy-and-paste information from the organization, and rapidly post online.
- once the initial job is done, (and there must be a clear indication of at what point the WebCorps task finishes), the organization may then decide to contract the same or other WebCorps volunteer to further develop the site.
- however, the idea is to promote capacity-building. As the WebCorps volunteer builds that first rapid renovation, the organization must be encouraged to dig up an internal person to undertake training for their site maintenance. Think of WebCorps as a little push to get them moving.
- a fee of $100 has been suggested as acceptable for the first renovation effort. Subsequent work by a WebCorps person with an organization is left up to them to negotiate.
To request the services offered under WebCorps, please email the Volunteer Committee Chair.
Get your own Chebucto account
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small
Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help
Our Premium Internet Access
Non-Profit Highspeed Access