Types of Social Action
Knowing where to start to work for change in our society can seem like an overwhelming task. It is important to choose the best type of action according to your interests, skills and talents. Each one is a great place to start!
1. SERVICE: Help people in need, now.
Examples: Transition houses and counseling services that offer programs and support for abusive men and the victims of violence.
2. EDUCATION: Inform and teach
Examples: Support teachers, community youth programs, become involved in the PTA, inform yourself, listen to people's personal stories, tell yours.
3. WITNESS: Make one's convictions public
Examples: Wear a purple ribbon in the weeks
leading up to the anniversary Montreal Massacre.
4. ADVOCACY: Work through political system (process) to impact public policy.
Examples: Write to politicians, newspapers about what needs to change.
5. COMMUNITY ORGANIZING: Reinventing power
Examples: Find and support organizations working for change.