[NatureNS] Harris's Sparrow

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:56:00 +0000

I received pictures this evening of a Harris's Sparrow, which has been in
the area for close to a week.  It arrived in the yard of Dave Watson today,
which is in East LaHave.  I hope to try for this bird first thing in the
morning before going to work.  Dave is a birder who is extensively traveled
and has taken many bird tours in exotic countries.  He had not seen this
bird before and as a result had the presence of mind to take photos and send
them to me.  I also consulted with others on the photos to make sure my id
was correct before posting.  The bird had been a half dozen houses up the
road earlier in the week.  The location is at house 4764 in East LaHave.
Dave Watson would like anyone who intends to come and try for the bird to
phone in advance to let him know.  His phone number is 766-4114.  It was
present up until dark tonight and was sitting on a christmas tree trunk out
back of the house.  Dave's wifes name is Pat if she happens to answer.

On an aside I have been too busy to post such, but for the record there was
a gray catbird at East Port Medway for three weeks up to about a week ago.
It had an injured leg and the people who had it tending their suet, rigged
the feeder to make it far easier for the invalid, in hopes of getting the
bird through the winter.  Shortly after I was sent pictures of this bird at
the feeder and shortly after I found out about it, before I had chance to
go, the bird disappeared.  The people who had this bird were saddened by its
disappearance.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Free Alerts : Be smart - let your information find you !
http://alerts.live.com/Alerts/Default.aspx