[NatureNS] Brown Creeper, etc.

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:07:31 -0400

Ken McKenna
 4894 East River East Side Rd
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus MacLean" <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:05 PM
Subject: [NatureNS] Brown Creeper, etc.

Hi Angus and all
This winter I have had a Br. Crepper come close to my suet feeder a few
times, but I don't think it used it either. The old Lombardy Poplars in my
yard have quite cracked bark and sometimes I smear bacon drippings or
peanut butter/lard mixture into the cracks. I think it has gone for this in
the past. Talk about a hard bird to photograph. I think every shot I have
taken of a Creeper is out of focus as the bird seems to be in constant
motion.
 The behaviour of your Creeper in the wind was the same as the Pine Warbler
I have at my feeder. It tended to feed in the ground and spent a lot of time
at the base of the tree. It seemed to be going for millet or pieces of suet
dropped by starlings or other birds and seemed so out of place on the
ground. It still seems faily lively, but I have my doubts of it surviving
the winter. The Lark Sparrow however seems to have settled in nicely for the
winter and makes several trips to feed in the day most reliable at dawn and
late afternoon.
cheers
    Ken