[NatureNS] Long-tailed Ducks

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi John
A common affair each late fall and winter evening
through out their range. They go to sea in the
evening, return in the morning. The morning flocks are
smaller - prehaps 2 - 4. Flocks may get broken up in
the night at sea.
Mergansers go first - then whistlers ( golden eyes )
then long tails then scoters. They follow the reverse
pattern returning in the morning.
Loons will be mixed with the earlier birds.
The scoters go late on a moon light night but earlier
on the dark of the moon.
Brings back good memories.
Have a nice winter
Paul

--- John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Late this afternoon, I spent some time doing a
> sea-watch at Point Prim,
> Digby County. Between 4:35 and 5:37 pm, I counted
> 1,185 Long-tailed Ducks
> flying out of the Annapolis Basin, through Digby
> Gut, to offshore Bay of
> Fundy, presumably to roost for the night. Most
> flocks numbered between
> 20-30 birds with some flocks between 50-60 birds.
> The flocks continued
> passing until it was too dark to see them.
>
> John Kearney

Have a burning question?