[NatureNS] Barred owl question

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:31:20 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_1953_29051424.1208269880167

Owls hoot for a couple of reasons, but I've never heard that they hoot *
while* mating!  :)  But they might... :)

On 08/04/2008, Jeannie <jeannies@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I had two barred owls ... and ...around 9:30 AM
> they were hooting. Is this a sign that they are mating?

Courting, on the other hand, is typically a late winter, early spring event.
If the two birds were singing at the same pitch, it could be you had two
males hooting at each other; if the two were at different pitches, you could
have had a dueting pair.

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of