[NatureNS] hawks

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:07:01 -0300

Angela,
as I had to pass your place twice this afternoon on business, I took the
opportunity to check out the fields and area. The first time there was
nothing - not surprising given the noise coming from the thundering hoards
over the road in the fair grounds. On the second pass 30 minutes later, a
large hawk was sitting in the dead tree behind the house watching the field.
I walked into the edge of the field and saw that it was a light coloured
Red-tailed Hawk. I tried a photo or two but the lighting was very bad. I
swear that it is the same non-breeding Redtail that has been hanging about
near the old Windsor Wear plant since late winter time. It has all the
redtail characteristics except that there is very little red on the tail as
yet. This probably doesn't help much as I don't know if it is one the birds
you saw or just a local opportunist. Keep your eyes open for the strange
twosome,
John Belbin - Hantsport