[NatureNS] Swallows

From: Virginia Redden <vredden@imlay.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:38:30 -0600

 Early today my husband and I were sitting out with our coffee and a small flock of birds - 20-30 flew overhead. I excitedly remarked to my husband those are swallows, Wow, we haven't seen swallows in years.  What a treat. Then later a very strange looking bird flew over and the best guess we could make - not having binoculars- was a very small Great Blue Heron. I was disappointed to not have a better look because with all the unfamiliar Heron type birds in our area I may have seen something exotic. I'll be checking the marshes in the area more closely.
Virginia Redden
Port Howe Cumb co