[NatureNS] Earth Hour success?; long

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:07:21 -0300

face=3D"Arial"&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font face=3D"Arial"&gt;&lt;/fon

--Boundary_(ID_CdJlihi1S3wS1suNYLhHrQ)

I wonder the same thing. I used to be involved with Clean NS when it first got off the ground as a volunteer and know the intentions were wonderful. I live quietly and so maybe miss some of the good being done but some aren't much of a success, IMHO.
An example: we have had real poor luck with the extremely expensive "new" lights and even trying to get a refund has so far not worked. The old lights consistently last much longer overall. The heat from the older ones is a big  plus in the winter here as we don't crank up the heating that high. The existing fixtures work, we like them so why replace them as has been suggested at several conversations with experts. We did replace some eventually now we are continually buying these new "guaranteed to last so many hours".
If we are getting this percentage of bad bulbs we can't be the only ones......so maybe they aren't good. My eyes are driving me nuts as I can't see to read with the light they offer........
Another thing is all the seal your house so tight it makes you sick.  Been there done that in the 70's and am still dealing with the consequences of that. New materials are suppose to be so much more healthy. How do we know that in 20 years we won't be going through another wave of ..." we should remove that...
I wonder who owns what stock in which company.
Maybe if people just took the problem seriously and tried to live with the idea we were rationed every day, we might be better off. Perhaps being brought up by parents who survived the depression wasn't such a bad thing. I Know a lot of people reading this are doing as much as we are trying to do and that is great. I applaud you. There are a lot of people who can't afford to even buy these new bulbs, upgrade their homes and all. It seems to me they are in the majority.
I find it fascinating, with this place on the market, and us looking for a new home, what the realtors push as the ultimate to look for.
I find it all very depressing actually.
I am thinking we send a fact finding mission to Europe, places like Norway and find how they have done things. It might save us from reinventing the wheel.
Stepping off the soap box now.......
Marg Millard in White Point
http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_CdJlihi1S3wS1suNYLhHrQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I wonder the same thing. I used to be involved with
Clean NS when it first got off the ground as a volunteer and know the intentions
were wonderful. I live quietly and so maybe miss some of the good being done but
some aren't much of a success, IMHO. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>An example: we have had real poor luck with the
extremely expensive&nbsp;"new" lights and even trying to get a refund has so far
not worked. The old lights consistently last much longer overall. The heat from
the older ones is a big &nbsp;plus in the winter here as we don't crank up the
heating that high. The existing fixtures work, we like them so why replace them
as has been suggested at several conversations with experts. We did replace some
eventually now we are continually buying these new "guaranteed to last so many
hours". </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>If we are getting this percentage of bad bulbs we
can't be the only ones......so maybe they aren't good. My eyes are driving me
nuts as I can't see to read with the light they offer........</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Another thing is all the seal your house so tight
it makes you sick.&nbsp; Been there done that in the 70's and am still dealing
with the consequences of&nbsp;that. New materials are suppose to be so much more
healthy. How do we know that in 20 years we won't be going through another wave
of ..." we should remove that...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I wonder who owns what stock in which company.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Maybe if people just took the problem seriously and
tried to live with the idea we were rationed every day, we might be better off.
Perhaps being brought up by parents who survived the depression wasn't such a
bad thing. I Know a lot of people reading this are doing as much as we are
trying to do and that is great. I applaud you. There are a lot of people who
can't afford to even buy these new bulbs, upgrade their homes and all. It seems
to me they are in the majority. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I find it fascinating, with this place on the
market, and us looking for a new home, what the realtors push as the ultimate to
look for. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I find it all very depressing actually.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am thinking we send a fact finding mission to
Europe, places like Norway and find how they have done things. It might save us
from reinventing the wheel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Stepping off the soap box now.......</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Marg Millard in White Point</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_CdJlihi1S3wS1suNYLhHrQ)--