[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 16:52:16 -0300

Hello, this week has been interesting where birds are concerned. Things are
quieting down a bit at the feeders but at times it is very busy. Just now I
looked out and there are sparrows all over the place. We usually have a
number but this must be an outside group dropping in as there is a lot of
consternation and set too.
This new group include several white crowned, a different chipping than the
one singing in my maple tree yesterday. Many more White-Throats too. One I
am not sure but might be a Savannah.
 The tree swallows are back. I was getting concerned when I only had the
three earlier. 7 were wheeling over head around 10 am. Also saw some in by
Whynots garage as I went into town for gas about 2 pm. Usually there is a
nest in a light standard there.
It looks like we might have someone move into the one house we have up.
Earlier two checked it out, disappeared as is their want, then a chickadee
seemed to have taken a likening to it. Things went in; along came a downy
woodpecker and moved things out. I saw a swallow fly by very low with a
lovely curled white feather and was excited only to see it continue well
south and still going. Yesterday I heard a lot of chatter and swallows were
moving things into the house and again this am there was swallow activity
there.
There was a male hummingbird on a piece of contorted hazelnut out front. No
sign of it at the feeders. I did see it swooping about in the maple tree so
maybe getting sap from woodpecker wells? No sign of it today. I don't know.
I updated the food in the feeders again so maybe this week someone will come
and stay.
Many grackles, a brewers black bird, a couple cowbirds, a few starlings, an
occasional Blue Jay and the odd red winged black bird. The raven is about.
Crows come and go. The convention seems to be over thankfully. There are
still a few juncos and at times 3 or  a group of 7 American gold finches. In
town to day on Zwicker Avenue, I saw a fair number of American and Purple
finches.  We tried to see the eyes and beaks. They all looked clean to us.

The birds song there is so melodical, unlike here where it is still great
but tends to get quite strident at times. Everything rises a notch when the
Northern flicker holds forth.
Had to take the car to the garage.......wasn't shifting correctly. They
found it full of bird seed...........The mechanic said it was the third Kia
he saw this week with this problem..........
Marg Millard, White Point,  Queens

http://MargMillard.ca