[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:25:23 -0300

The majority of the Laughing Gulls attending our property appear to have
moved off. Yesterday we had two juveniles, Sunday ,  after an adult brought
in 9 juveniles and stayed while they fed, then rounded then up and flew them
out! None today.
This morning as I was opening the blinds I had a lovely long look at a
beautiful Eastern Kingbird sitting in all its glory in the apple tree close
to the back of the house. Gorgeous. First I have seen in awhile.
Yesterday from about 5:30 to 7 pm the trees were filled with American
Goldfinches, Cats birds, a brown headed cowbird, Yellow rumped Warblers and
Robins. There was at least one Nuthatch and maybe a creeper......I haven't
ever had so many birds of so many varieties since I began feeding birds.
They just rained in. The Blue Jays came and started scrapping with the
Robins just as a large group of what I think were vireos/warblers but things
got so confusing with all the chasing and in a short period of time they
were all gone. Oh and starlings as well as grackles.
Sat. late pm and throughout the evening I saw the most beautiful and the
largest hummingbird I have ever seen. Since I have had a bird or two a day
passing through, I assumed it was a Ruby throat, (no red though) beautiful
shape and well muscled. Lovely green above, white eye spot, nothing really
unusual that grabbed me except the size, sleekness and "strength"  of the
bird's body. I went to find the camera to see could I get a photo to paint
from but didn't get a shot )
It fed for quite a time at both feeders then cruised the gardens. I saw it
(I am assuming it stayed overnight closeby) again briefly Sunday morning
when I opened up the blinds when I realized maybe it was something else but
I haven't seen it since so..Please note: I didn't see any orange or copper I
am being extra vigilant and don't want to say I saw what I didn't. I had
hoped the Rhodes Corner bird might drop in but so far no luck.
The bird I saw in the early summer, about sparrow sized a slightly different
shape though,  and a soft slatey gray back, black or dark eye strip with
another strip on over the head, buffy chest is back. It is pretty timid and
moves constantly. I think it chips; a squeaky sort of rust, harshey, "chip".
It goes to where the sunflower feeder should be and back to the ash tree
across the septic mound. I can't get a real good look at it.
Guess that is it for now.
best regards
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens.
http://MargMillard.ca