[NatureNS] Red Crossbills

From: Ken MacAulay <kenmacaulay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:02:14 -0300

Ian, I have been unsuccessful in recording any sound from the visiting red
crossbills; they seem to be too busy eating!  The adult birds left shortly
after my last post, but four juveniles now eat for hours on end, it seems.
One has a reddish orange flush on the head, while another has a few red
speckles around the neck/chest area so presumably males.  I've heard nothing
from them other than a few clicks now & again.  They are not timid and I can
approach to within a foot or so.  They seem to travel with some purple
finches which they resemble, apart from the bill & size.
I'm wondering if I should stop filling the feeders, as I don't want them to
hang around longer than is healthy for them or to get them too dependent.
Any advice in this regard?

Ken MacAulay
Port Mouton, NS