[NatureNS] Nature Notes

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:20:42 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_rdr5uNcd7o78kboBaUfBsQ)

Sambro Island

On June 23 I visited Sambro Island on a glorious sunny day.  To my surprise and disappointment the 80+ Arctic Terns that were here three years ago on my last visit were not present today.  It is possible they have not returned yet or perhaps they gave up competing with the hordes of local gulls.  I did enjoy watching a pair of Common Terns clearing the sky overhead a beach of all overlying gulls.  The Black Guillemots(60++) are doing well.  Since they nest in the rock crevices and between the building foundation blocks an accurate count is impossible.  I did manage a few decent photos of this industrious bird: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Swimmers/0105.html  Other nesters include lots of Savannah Sparrows and a few Spotted Sandpipers, and of course the Double-crested Cormorant Colony(60+).  I try to keep to the rocks when I visit the island since many young birds and nest sites are concentrated in the grassy centre of the island.

Sandy Cove Road and Beach

I'm pleased to report that the Killdeer have bred successfully on Sandy Cove's beach.  I spotted one small golf ball on stilts running around a couple of days ago.  I was photographing American Redstarts and Yellow Warblers which nest in the wet alder thickets near the road's end when to my surprise a Lincoln's Sparrow popped into view and posed quite nicely for a time.  I've never heard them singing here but then again I never walk this road in the morning. There are coyotes and at least one Black Bear in the area.  http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/SparrowsToFinches/0142.html

Tern Festival and Annapolis Royal Marsh

Laura and I enjoyed the Tern Festival and wonderful hospitality of the folks at West Pubnico.  When drifting by North Brother Island the terns took to the air overhead the island and I took several photos of this spectacle.  I'm told the mix is 85% Common Terns, 10% Roseate Terns and 5% Arctic Terns.  You try and pick them out! http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Aerialists/0129.html

On our return home we stopped to see the Sandhill Crane north of Yarmouth.  It was a shy bird which is unusual for this often aggressive species. It foraged at a considerable distance from us in grasses almost as tall as the bird itself. Here's one photo: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0124.html

We also stopped at Annapolis Royal Marsh and searched unsuccessfully for the reported Virginia Rail. We did find numerous Sora, although we didn't see any young birds: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Shorebirds/0112.html

The aggressive posturing of male Pied-billed Grebes in the lake was amusing to watch.

Oakfield Provincial Park

I've made several visits to Oakfield Provincial Park this spring and early summer. This park has a diverse mix of birds and the trail system is easy to navigate although photography is extremely tricky due to the shade created by the tall forest.  The Barred Owls are present; http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Raptors/0186.html and Least Flycatchers, http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings/0165.html, Red-eyed Vireos, http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings/0167.html, Eastern Wood-Pewee, http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings/0140.html, and White-breasted Nuthatch, http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings/0170.html.

Note: the residual red border to the Barred Owl's iris in some photos may be a photographic glitch that I chose not to correct.

On one of my visits I surprised a nesting Racoon which posed in a manner that can only be described as priceless: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildlife/0112.html

South Brookfield

The Provincial Government has partnered with the folks trying to save the endangered Blanding's Turtle by posting warning signs in critical areas where this species crosses the road, by our observation the road surfaces around the creeks near South Brookfield.  We didn't see any Blanding's Turtles but we did see four Snapping Turtles on our drive through this area: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildlife/0114.html

Chignecto Provincial Park

I was returning to my car on the main coastal trail at Chignecto Provincial Park when I spotted a Coyote ahead. I was toting a large lens and tripod at the time. The animal had not seen me so I used my tripod as a monopod and fumbled around to make a focus. I managed to snap one quick picture but the light from my flash startled it and it disappeared.  Taking no chances I unholstered my bear spray and continued down the trail since there was no easy way around but the Coyote was not seen again: http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildlife/0106.html

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_rdr5uNcd7o78kboBaUfBsQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>Sambro Island</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On June 23 I visited Sambro Island on a glorious
sunny day.&nbsp; To my surprise and disappointment the 80+ <STRONG>Arctic
Terns</STRONG> that were here three years ago on my last visit were not present
today.&nbsp; It is possible they have not returned yet or perhaps they gave up
competing with the hordes of local gulls.&nbsp; I did enjoy watching a pair of
<STRONG>Common Terns</STRONG> clearing the sky overhead a beach of all overlying
gulls.&nbsp; The <STRONG>Black Guillemots</STRONG>(60++) are doing well.&nbsp;
Since they nest in the rock crevices and between the building foundation blocks
an accurate count is impossible.&nbsp; I did manage a few decent photos of this
industrious bird: <A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Swimmers/0105.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Swimmers/0105.html</A>&nbsp;
Other nesters include lots of <STRONG>Savannah Sparrows</STRONG> and a few
<STRONG>Spotted Sandpipers</STRONG>, and of course the <STRONG>Double-crested
Cormorant</STRONG> Colony(60+).&nbsp; I try to keep to the rocks when I visit
the island since many young birds and nest sites are concentrated in the grassy
centre of the island.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>