[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:34:42 +0000

--_0e51c655-b5d5-4b06-bd30-af0974da4e0e_

Hi all:

=20

A trip to Cherry Hill today shows that shorebird migration has started with=
 a bang.  First off=2C we have 8 piping plover chicks at the moment.  Four =
will be able to fly within a week.  Three hatched out last Monday and the f=
ourth 35 hours later.  Of note=2C predator enclosers were not used this yea=
r and we lost 11 nests due to American crow predation.  The most recent wit=
hin 5 days of hatching as of today.  I will not say anything more about thi=
s as I did not have the time to be involved this year due to it being the l=
ast year of the atlas and I spent my time with other interests. =20

=20

Shorebirds at Cherry Hill today included: =20

Piping Plover 14

Sanderling 12

Whimbrel 1

Willet 48

Pectoral Sandpiper 1

Short-billed Dowitcher 20

Greater Yellowlegs 3

Semi-palmated Sandpiper 39

Semi-palmated Plover 20

Least Sandpiper 1

I also had two birds fly over=2C which I'm sure were red knots=2C but by th=
e=20

time I got my binoculars on them I could only see them from behind.

=20

There was an interesting tern present.  It was with common terns=2C but was=
 a little smaller.

The head looked like that of a common tern as did the bill=2C but the bird =
was chunky.  It had no tail and the wings were more rounded rather then poi=
nted.  I'm at a loss.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

=20

=20
 		 	   		 =20

--_0e51c655-b5d5-4b06-bd30-af0974da4e0e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A trip to Cherry Hill today shows that shorebird migration has started with=
 a bang.&nbsp=3B First off=2C we have 8 piping plover chicks at the moment.=
&nbsp=3B Four will be able to fly within a week.&nbsp=3B Three hatched out =
last Monday and the fourth 35 hours later.&nbsp=3B Of note=2C predator encl=
osers were not used this year and we lost 11 nests due to American crow pre=
dation.&nbsp=3B The most recent within 5 days of hatching as of today.&nbsp=
=3B I will not say anything more about this as I did not have the time to b=
e involved this year due to it being the last year of the atlas and I spent=
 my time with other interests.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Shorebirds at Cherry Hill today included:&nbsp=3B <BR>
Piping Plover 14<BR>
Sanderling 12<BR>
Whimbrel 1<BR>
Willet 48<BR>
Pectoral Sandpiper 1<BR>
Short-billed Dowitcher 20<BR>
Greater Yellowlegs 3<BR>
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 39<BR>
Semi-palmated Plover 20<BR>
Least Sandpiper 1<BR>
I also had two birds fly over=2C which I'm sure were red knots=2C but by th=
e <BR>
time I got my binoculars on them I could only see them from behind.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There was an interesting tern present.&nbsp=3B It was with common terns=2C =
but was a little smaller.<BR>
The head looked like that of a common tern as did the bill=2C but the bird =
was chunky.&nbsp=3B It had no tail and the wings were more rounded rather t=
hen pointed.&nbsp=3B I'm at a loss.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Turn down-time into play-time with Mess=
enger games <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734381' target=3D=
'_new'>Play Now!</a></body>

--_0e51c655-b5d5-4b06-bd30-af0974da4e0e_--