[NatureNS] Carters Beach

From: "Joyce Norris" <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:45:46 -0300

Carter's Beach is near Port Mouton, about 20 minutes past Liverpool. On
certain days, a few hundred sand dollars wash up or you can wade in a bit
and pick them up.I noticed this year the water isn't coming up on the beach
as far and was surprised to see live many sand dollars at the tide line.
Additionally, a few years ago, if you waded out up to your shoulders, you
could see the live sand dollar colony. This time, one only needed to go mid
calf to see it. I got lots of pictures and it was an amazing sight to see
thousands of them. I wonder if it is now so accessible, how long it might
survive. The water seems to stay cold so not too many wanted to go in up to
their necks to see them. Even at low tide other years, you might see the
occasional live one, but nothing like this.

Wondering if anyone knew what happened with the proposed fish plant. I
remember signing a petition against it as I figured it would needlessly
damage or destroy what appears to be very pristine water and beach. Anyone
know?

Thx
JOyce