[NatureNS] Carters Beach

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:27:43 -0300

Carter's Beach is near Port Mouton, about 20 minutes past Liverpool. On
certain days, a few hundred sand dollars wash up or you can wade in a bit
and pick them up.I noticed this year the water isn't coming up on the beach
as far and was surprised to see live many sand dollars at the tide line.
Additionally, a few years ago, if you waded out up to your shoulders, you
could see the live sand dollar colony. This time, one only needed to go mid
calf to see it. I got lots of pictures and it was an amazing sight to see
thousands of them. I wonder if it is now so accessible, how long it might
survive. The water seems to stay cold so not too many wanted to go in up to
their necks to see them. Even at low tide other years, you might see the
occasional live one, but nothing like this.

Wondering if anyone knew what happened with the proposed fish plant. I
remember signing a petition against it as I figured it would needlessly
damage or destroy what appears to be very pristine water and beach. Anyone
know?

Thx
JOyce

Residents of the area of Carters and Port Mouton Bay in general didn't have
a problem with a fish plant but a massive proposed and highly opposed salmon
farm just off the beach at Port Mouton Island. There exists a smaller farm
off  Spectacle Island directly across from Carters.  The small one fouled
the bay badly! (The proposed one would have been the largest in Atlantic
Canada.) We are still working to prevent future damage to the bay which is
extremely fragile and a lobster nursery amongst other things. The flushing
of the the bay is now being scientifically studied in conjunction with Dal I
believe.
Early last fall we had a big blow, "Bill", and Cranberry Creek now runs
across the first crescent. It did this about 47 years ago I am told, but
reverted to its old route shortly there after. This time it doesn't seemed
inclined to change back. Maybe the fall winds will set it back but who
knows? It will be interesting to see.
Lots of jellyfish this year, sign of cold water. Actually at high tide there
is no sand to walk on at all. It runs up the beach into the grass. The big
dune blew out and opened up a new interior beach. It is fascinating to watch
this beach evolve. DNR dept. is now the "caretakers". It is a high traffic
area these days. It is one of my favourite places to paint so I go several
times a season to see how the changes happen and capture different light.
Yes the water is generally very cold but the inner beach now is a lot
warmer.
The sand dollar beds always moved about as do clam flats. The sand dollars
get washed up depending on the wind direction. We are very concerned about
the waste from the pens killing the creatures.
I went there the other day and saw but three (shore birds aren't my strong
point) sanderlings. Used to be hundreds and hundreds at this time of the
year.
Best regards
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca