[NatureNS] Wasp nests

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:30:29 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_ds840f4PhGWXQQuaRbzItg)

  My code of ethics here is to treat all life with respect - unless it
threatens my person or my property.....

Eleanor Lindsay

On 18/08/2010 7:05 AM, Richard Stern wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Doug - I agree with you, but when the wasps nests are in the archway
> and under the umbrella on the deck where my wife and I and our 18/12
> old granddaughter go, then nature has to temporarily take a back seat!
> I forgot to mention that we have also tried the artificial nests, and
> they do encourage the wasps to build a few yards farther away.
>
> Richard
>
> On Tuesday, August 17, 2010, Doug Linzey<naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>  wrote:
>>
>> There is also a foam you can buy - wait till after dark when the wasps are inactive, then spray the foam at the nest, and it plugs it up, and kills the wasps.
>>

>> Fine advice for a naturalist group! Does anyone know what benefits paper wasps might contribute to the ecosystem? I'm quite happy to discourage them from establishing nests earlier in the season where I don't want them, but they seem quite innocuous (as long as they're not on my favourite ladder, of course) otherwise. And their empty nests at the end of the season are wonders to behold.
>>
>> Doug Linzey

--Boundary_(ID_ds840f4PhGWXQQuaRbzItg)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <title></title>
  </head>
      to treat all life with respect - unless it threatens my person or
      my property.....<br>
      Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      cite="mid:AANLkTi=m88PS9PXmdCML7CzqKXVxjEy9W9cNUWtfSnd1@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">

[...]