[NatureNS] Wasp nests

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:41:28 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_qg4gVehji/QxUFOXLU2jUQ)

Hi All,                    Aug 18, 2010
    I gather from the context that the beast under consideration is a yellowjacket as opposed to Paper Wasp (Polistinae; open small nest with exposed cells).

    Yellowjackets are subdued by cold and repelled by Deep Woods insect repellant.

    [In late summer 2000 on a hot afternoon, while clearing a makeshift turnaround because the road was blocked, I kicked a rotten stump to see if the truck would get hung on it and found that it contained a large nest of yellowjacks. So I daubed some Deep Woods on my hat, neck, chest & arms and worked for about an hour in a cloud of Yellowjackets to clear the rest of the turnaround and load and pile a half cord of wood; didn't get stung once.]

    I don't know how Yellowjackets respond to Epoxy but you could try the following (provided you are not violently allergic to their stings). Early on a cool morning use 5-minute Epoxy to secure the nest to an alternative support. Say, depending upon the orientation of the nest, an L-shaped support placed behind the ladder with the long part leaning against the wall and the short arm secured to the nest with several daubs of Epoxy.

    After the Epoxy has hardened, cut the nest free from the ladder and move the ladder.

    I am not sure when Yellowjackets fade away-- mid to late October I would guess.

    We eat outdoors fairly often in warm weather, usually in the company of Yellowjackets. They are annoying when they buzz one's face but, on the other hand, more Yellowjackets means fewer Flies. If they became a problem around the table then I would try to decoy them away with a paper towel moistened with Apple Juice or other sweet liquid.

    Some are quite friendly (perhaps all if they don't feel threatened). Several years ago one flew to my hand, in a clearly non-agressive way, while  I was eating an apple (or after I had ?) outdoors and proceeded for some time to feed on traces of juice that it found on my fingers.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville